How important is a guys job and finacial position when dating?

Assuming he's not sleeping on his mom's/friends/random persons couch and picking up aluminum cans for cash. I mean he is gainfully employed with minimal debt.

like the majority of us, A good chance he won't make 6 figures. 5 years ago I would've thought this question was ridiculous and solely based on a cynical view of women my age.

Most Helpful Guy

• Up until the college years it don't matter much. As long as the couple is able to go out and do thing it typically don't matter. Mid 20's and up the girls can get very picky but it depends on the infatuation that girl has.

Some girls want a good looking guy, many... many other girls will want a "successful guy"(6-figures). Many girls will claim that "he has to like his job" and all that but honestly... it is the money. If the girl wants money, she also wants him to have status. So girls like this naturally flock to guys in a tux who would be the CEO of some major corporation or whatever.

I am finding that having a job, place, and a car is not enough for a lot of girls later on. I think most guys have ridiculous expectations on the "beauty" of a woman while girls have ridiculous expectations on what a guy has in terms of possessions. If I were to obtain a lot of money by the lotto or something. I'd deliberately keep my public address a studio apartment and never tell the woman about what I have. I know I'd be a major target for all the wrong reasons.

What Girls Said 4

• I don't expect a guy to make six figures. Sure that'd be great but guys like that aren't easy to find and it won't make him any less of a person. However he should I'll say ideally make close to 30k a year. Where I live a single person bringing home 30k can live a decent lifestyle and that's not unrealistic for a man in his 20s. I don't want a guy who can't afford to go out and enjoy himself tho

• very, my spouse needs to compliment me

• My boyfriend is not working right now. But he's looking. He's on unemployment benefits. I was unemployed for 6 months, but I just got a job now. So it doesn't matter. He'll get a job eventually. It's tough out there.

• not too important as long as he's not broke.

What Guys Said 3

• I think you also need to specify age. Girls in their late teens, early 20s don't really worry about that stuff as much but I'm sure if you're dating women in their 30s etc. it's a bigger deal

• You're right, I'm 32 so anyone that would be my age maybe 5-6 years younger is age bracket I'm looking at.

• link

Based on okcupid data. Each row is versus other men of the same age.

I guess beyond the obvious, you might notice that there are some big breakpoints.

- till they're done college, women don't care.

- If you're gainfully employed, you are in the yellow zone, and whether you are making 40k or 70k doesn't matter much. You are 'normal'. The yellow zone is not bad. If you make 80k it starts being a plus and at 100k+ its a big help. If you're at 30k or less, its a big negative. That's U.S. wide, I suspect the breakpoints shift by city somewhat. Making 100k in NYC might be a pretty mild plus, making 30k in some areas might be 'fine'.

• Wow, that graph is kinda an eye opener.

• Well, keep in mind that's -claimed- salary. The article it claimed from estimated that people were lying about their income by 20-25% on average, so probably if you're making 30k, you actually make as much as the guys showing at 40k on the graph. I'd also guess that a lot of the guys in the lower category are not, in fact, gainfully employed and living not with their parents. Those lifestyle factors may matter a great deal.

• Yea the funny part is most couples can combine incomes to hit 40k-70k nowadays easilyand support themselves and a kid, but as you can see, most girls are just looking for the easy way out. It's so easy for a girl to claim that she puts effort into a relationship, but when it comes to actually doing so, they fall short and try to spin the argument back onto the guy. Not many girls live up to their word anymore.

• Depends on the type of woman you meet.

A. Some only care about money. Of the ones that do care about money so are living in trailer and will still see you as a step up. These women are basically prostitutes.

B. Most care about money but just want a guy that makes close to what they make because they want to have an equal partnership.

C. If you are good looking and find a not so good looking girl you could be flat busted broke. They tend to hold the fact they make more money over your head and more or less hire you as the prostitute.

D. Then there are women that have money and don't care about your money at all, and won't use their money to disrespect you. The only problem with this type of woman is they are entirely fictional. Still a lot of women claim to be a part of this group.

I would look for women that make close to what you make but not going too high, or too low from there.