Why do some people think texting is an art?

An art? Really? Grow up.

texting is a primitive means of communicating. Usually it's not the best way to communicate. Just call the person if you have more to say than "hey how are you" or "remember to pick up ___from the store"

Texting is so middle school-age to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like texting is so impersonal. If you want to have a conversation with me, call me I refuse to read page after page and send one back. You have that much to say? call me.

I'll only text if it's quick stuff or if the person isn't able to call at the moment.

I definitely agree with you.

What Guys Said 7

• an art? that's preposterous. I texted all day yesterday and no picasso came out of it. I agree it is primitive, I'm waiting for a phone that texts for me.

• Lol there are phones like that, my iPhone you can speak into it and it types out what you say. I'm sure androids and other phones have that too.

• LOL yeah, you need a new phone dude. =P I dunnoooo, there's something beautiful and artful when Enrique Evil and Cesar Scourge get to texting hahaha

• Texting is a contemporary form of sending smoke signals.

• I love texting ha ha I'd rather text than call it's much easier to me. Calling was cool like in like the 90s... :P.

Besides it's easy to text people throughout the day if either of you are busy and don't wanna chat on the phone, like at work, concert, sporting events, etc.

• @Why do some people think texting is an art?

Anything can be artistic. What is there to grow up in this? It depends on the perception of an individual.

• Because it is...meow:

..,..,..,.,../\_/\

..,..____/ o o \

./~____ =ΓΈ= /

.(______)__m_m)

• Texting is an extension of spoken language, just like "regular" writing is. You don't find books, news articles, road signs, text on this website, e-mails, or any other form of writing primitive do you?

Written language is meant to serve the language when speech is not available, or when written speech (aka, text) serves the function just the same. All throughout history, humankind has constantly molded its written language (as well as its spoken language) to make it quicker, easier, and more concise to use.

Texting isn't meant to be long and drawn out, it is meant to hit quick thoughts to the person. I'm not even a texting type of guy, but when people try to attack it as silly (as you are doing right now), I always ask why they feel like that when it seems the pervasive stereotype of texting involves silly teenage girls texting about nothing important at all. That's not to say you believe this, but my point is basically that texting is a shorthand version of spoken language, just as any other text could be.

Notice in my second sentence of the first paragraph above...I used the contraction "don't" instead of the words "do not". That is an example of people shortening words to either make them quicker or to match spoken language, or both.

• texting was originally meant for the hearing impaired. people who wanted cell phones, but couldn't hear. it caught up with the public...it is convenient, that's why most people don't call, especially when it's only one penny to send a text as opposed to however much it is per minute

• besides, who are you to tell me what to do...you're not the boss of me

What Girls Said 3

• Other the face to face conversation texting is the best way to get in touch me with me. I don't always get phone calls so recieving texts at least I can reply the first chance I get. I don't have a home phone so I get daily minutes but texting is unlimited and cheaper another reason why I text before call.

• without texting..

I'd be uncommunicative.

• I've never heard anyone say texting is an art, haha!

A lot of people like texting, myself included. I hate talking on the phone.