Would you ever date your friend's ex?

This is mainly a question for the guys but girls can feel free to answer too!

Everybody knows that rule #1 of the bro code is not to date a friend's ex. But are there ever exceptions to this rule or guys who reject the rule completely? What if it was the most amazing girl you've ever met and you know you'd make a great couple? Would you still deny your feelings for your friend's sake?

• Sure
  • Never!
  • Only if I thought she/he was really special

Most Helpful Guy

• First off, the bro code is BS and no one I know follows it. Secondly, one of my good friends is dating a girl that I really like a lot and she's very special to me. She's my best friend as of right now. Her relationship is on rocky ground right now and he treats her like crap. She has said that any girl would be lucky to have me as a BF, so I know what she thinks of me. If they broke up, I'd pursue although not right away. People need their space after a break up so I will respect that and support her when she needs it. But in any case, yes, I would date a friend's ex.

What Guys Said 7

• The one vote in guys that says 'C' is mine :D

Reason for being an ex is she/he is an ex. Though I won't be lurking around or be a reason for them to break up I don't see any reason why 2 mature people shouldn't get together if they like each other and are compatible.

The 'bro code' we talk about is for situations where the friend or gf/wife has initiated the break up to be with the other person. Otherwise one becomes an ex owing to the fact that they did not get along and is a free person which goes both ways. It's not about getting back at someone.

• Me too. Kind of 50/50 on that one though. Like if she was special, but I wasn't in close contact with that friend or we didn't hang out any more.

• Depends on some things. First, how serious we're they? If ey went out for a few months and it didn't really go anywhere, I would first ask his permission and if he was cool wi it, than I'd go for it.

If they were in a long term relationship for a few years, I'd have to say no. It just doesn't sit well with me. I'd be pissed if a friend did that to me.

• I wouldn't knowingly date a friends ex, but if I was seeing a girl for a little while and we developed feelings for each other and then I found out she was an ex of a friend then oh well, sorry dude. :P

• I voted B, I don't think that *I* would ever be comfortable with that...even if I had my friend's blessing and the girl's blessing.

Too many girls in the world to get with one with such outstanding circumstances.

• I would at least talk to the friend, first.

That being said...I married my friend's ex...although they had been exes for years and he was already married - so it was a moot point.

• No

• God no.

What Girls Said 14

• Honestly I totally would. People and try and make you feel bad by saying that it's inconsiderate but the actual inconsiderate thing is telling your friend that they can't be with who they care about because you used to like him/date him. Grow up! I'd say yeah inform your friend and apologize if it makes her feel uncomfortable but date who you want to you don't need her permission.

• I don't like most of my "friends" so I'm probably not the best person to answer, but, lets be realistic here. Who do I plan on marrying and spending the rest of my life with? A man, or a women? My answer is a man, so no chick friend is going to come between me and the guy that I may want to marry.

things I would take into consideration though are, how long were they together? did she break up with him or did he breakup with her? was she hurt? why did they break up?

I'm currently dating a guy who was in a relationship with a 'friend' of mine (I really don't like her.. never have) she broke up with him and broke his heart... I swooped in to make him feel all better =))

• There's no way in Hell I'd do it! Besides stepping aside out of respect for your friend, it'd feel too awkward and just "wrong".

• I would see if they ended amicably and if they hadn't no chance if they did talk to them to make sure they wouldn't be too upset.

• I've been attracted to a couple or friend's exes, but I just would never date them. It would feel weird because in my mind, its like getting there 2nds especially because of the intimacy. Also, the history they had together. It would feel awkward dating them and being around your friend at the same time. Plus I feel disrespected if one of my friends were to do that to me. So I wouldn't do to her what I wouldn't want her to do to me.

• no. that's forbidden territory.

• Voted C. Unless he is really very special which is unlikely, if that is the case my friend won't break up with him.

• Nope,i cannot see myself doing that.

• Nope not even with their permission

• I wouldn't, mostly because I don't actually like any of my friends exes

• Only if I thought he was really special. I wouldn't want to pass up a chance to be with someone incredible. I'd try to get the okay from my friend though.

All that being said, I've never been even remotely interested in any of the men my friends have dated. Lol

• Lmao no. Chicks before d*cks

• yeah don't see why not ex is ex for reason and if his friend is OK why not

• Made this mistake back in high school.

I thought that we got along pretty well and that he really liked me but in the end it turned out he was just using me to try to get back with my friend... it didn't last very long at all but I still regret doing it, don't know what I was thinking. Wouldn't do it again if a similar situation ever came up again.