Could you date a guy who doesn't have a car?

Like I was having a convo with my gurlfriend Sally.

Her boyfriend is student and he's like broke and I was like girl I don't know how you do it like I could never date a guy who like doesn't have a car!

And she was like wow your so like shallow.

I told her It's called having standards and I'm sure many other women agree with me!

Most Helpful Girl

• No I wouldn't. You have to have a car if you wanna date me. I do not date broke guys and guys without cars. Don't give a f*** if that's shallow or not.

I don't like how people act like you can't dismiss a guy for anything and you're supposed to just accept whatever. What's next? "Oh yeah so what if he's homeless, he's a nice guy!" "Oh you're shallow if you don't date a guy who's 55 and you're 20, you shouldn't care about age!" Like where do you draw the line? lol

People can have all these politically correct dreamland answers but I can tell which girls will end up being used by a nothing ass dude and which ones will have the standards not to even accept that. Sorry but I know too many dudes with cars that will expect you to drive them around everywhere, be their chauffeur...it's just really inconvenient and I don't know why any girl with options would go for that

What Guys Said 14

• Maybe he's studying to become doctor. Would you seriously dump a guy like that?

Because in that case I think you have low standards in stead of high ones.

A car is nothing, jobless people have cars. You might want to focus on more significant things than arbitrary possessions.

• Is this real?

• I don't know where you live but in many major US (and world) cities, a car is simply not necessary and can be more trouble than it's worth. Where I live, for instance, you can't commute to and from work with your car--you pretty much have to use public transit. The only thing a car would be for is weekend use or running the occasional errand. If you lived in a city like NYC or London, you would understand.

• That being said, if you lived out in the boondocks or someplace else where a car was a necessity and not having one presented a MAJOR inconvenience, I could sort of understand.

• Being hot will get you in the door. But it won't keep the guy. And if you want a man to actually stick around, you're gonna have to offer WAY more than that, especially when you're basically admitting you're beneath your ideal guy. See, guys are raised from birth to see having a strong work ethic as one of the most admirable qualities a person can have. You want a guy with it but you don't have it yourself. Which means you don't have anything to offer for the long run.

• I suspect a part of this is where you live. I lived in a downtown core where I could and did walk to work, and I owned one condo, was married with a child, and sold that before I actually bought a car (when we moved to the suburbs).

I personally find it odd when people live at home but have a car. To me that's an odd allocation of money.

When it comes to actually dating, when I did move to the suburbs and had a car, I hate it for 'going out'. Cabs and walking made having drinks or whatever so much easier.

• What about people in cities where cars aren't necessary? I mean there are many places in the world where you don't need to use anything but public transportation.. I have a car because I live in a small town but I would LOVE to live in a place where I didn't have to drive haha

• it would depend on where you live and if you had a car yourself . I suspect in a small town or suburban area its more important to have a car than say downtown where you could walk or take transit .

I have a car myself and it hasn't made much difference to my chances , a lot of the girls I know already have cars themselves so its not going to matter much if I have one

• There are too few women here to have a statistical impact on your proposition. There have been national polls done on this subject. Part of me wonders if he, who is in college and poor, is better off than you, who somehow managed to pass high school but is as dumb as a brick.

• i'd date a girl without a car

• If you live in a place where cars are really the only way to get around, I could kinda understand... if you live in a big city like NYC, then you're just being picky.

• Why don't you like work hard enough and like buy yourself a car? Like, why do you need a guy for that? Like, having standards that include a guy has to have a car are very superficial and low standards, basically...

You can complain all you want about not willing to be used by a guy, but from the looks of it you want to (ab)use the guy and a guy with even a little self respect will never allow you to do that.

get a job

• another materialistic bitch asking question

• Bitter cause your broke and nobody wants 2 f*** you?

• Its called prices.

• Nothing good in life is free

• Sounds like you like people for what they have and not for who they are

• Send me pictures of your boobs ;)

• how about you in a bikini? ;)

• wow. your view on men must be very low.

• LOL.

What Girls Said 13

• I think this really depends on where you live. If you live in a big city with decent transit, there is no need for a car. A person can get around fairly well in a major city by taking the bus, subway or other means. I wouldn't be too picky when it came to a car.

I have my own car now, but that's because I have to drive to work. I don't work in the same place where I live, so there's a bit of a commute. But if I lived in a major city, I would probably just take transit.

Having a car is expensive, there's parking, insurance, maintenance and gas. I wouldn't judge a guy for not having a car. If I didn't have to have on, I wouldn't have one either!

• I mean every girl has different standards, big deal just don't set them too high or you won't find a man.

• I wouldn't date someone without a car gurl. I mean like...if he can't afford a car how will he pay for your shoes?

• OMG girl I'm so glad I got chu 2 join this site. We're so much alike. <3 <3 #PrettyGurlsUnite

• Just ask me for my opinion like any time because we like twins!

#HOTGIRLS

• Of course. I don't have a car myself, so I can't complain! Plus that adds up, gas, insurance..I'm fine taking the train like I always do, so much more fun and adventurous too. Plus, I don't think it's a right, man or woman, to expect something from someone when you don't even have what you want others to "qualify" for. That's hypocritical.

• You may drive a BMW but did you pay for it? Or did daddy/the bank?

Also it's *your

& yes I would date a guy who didn't have a car as long as he didn't expect me to drive him everywhere.

• It doesn't matter to me. So what if he doesn't have a car. As long as he's a great guy and I like him, I don't give a damn.

• Nope, it's called liking a person for who they are, not for what they have. It's not like all guys without cars are broke.

• Yes I could and I have.

Do I prefer it? No.

Can I handle it? Yes.

• I doesn't matter to me, my husband doesn't even have a license.

• nope, don't agree with you.

"having standards" is defined differently by each person. For you, having a car is a must. For others it may not be. But don't tell a girl that she doesn't have standards just because she defines them differently than you.

I would definitely date a guy who doesn't have a car.

• I actually think you're a poor girl pretendind to be well off and with standards as you call them. Also, you must be seriously retarded if you have to use like whilst typing hence I think you're a troll. If you are for real then I'm sorry but what did your parents do wrong?! There are under 18s here who have higher levels of intelligence.

• Omg like this answer doesn not anwer my poll at all. Like what does me saying like have to do with anything. I've been hanging out with girls that say "like" like all the time. So you like I picked that from them. And like what does saying "like" have to do with intelligence. You're stereotyping me because like usually the dumb blondes in movies say like, And stereotyping is not cute and it like makes you look like an idiot. So like bye ;(!

• That's not what standards are. Standards should be about how someone treats you and who they are as a person. By thinking like that you are building yourself up for men to treat you anyhow they want so long as the materialistic things they possess make you look good to the outside world.

When I met my fiance, he didn't have a car despite the fact if he wanted one he could've had one. I didn't know how much he earnt or how well he was doing. I didn't care. In contrast I dated two otherwalthy men who've equally been successful in life who believed the answer to everything was to buy me something. One of them didn't have a car either.

If you determine a guys dateability of a man made piece of machinery then yes you are shallow. And as such you will only attract a certain type of man. The kind who will easily use you and discard you. And whem you're old you'll look back at your friends who have had significantly more satisfying lives due their non-materialistic nature and think about where you went wrong. By the way, school kids are meant to be broke that in itself teaches the how to be astute. I'm sure he'll be successful one day.

• isnt it better, that like, he like spends his money on like his education?

• If their under 25= YES

over 25 =HELL NO.