Guy friends think I want to date them if I ask to hangout with them but why?

When I try to hangout with a guy friend, he usually thinks I'm interested in him and that it's really a date. If it was a date I would have said so. I hangout with girls most of the time but I'd like to hang with guys as well. Should I just stop trying to hangout with guys?

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of people don't believe that men and women can be just friends. And a lot of them simply don't live their lives that way. They live - same sex=friends, opposite sex=romance.

So if that person lives by those rules, they'll always assume romance is involved when dealing with the opposite sex.

I'd just make it clear that you're only interested in friendship. Sometimes it's necessary to spell things out, haha!

• You're right but there was one time I asked a buddy to hangout and someone told him it was a date. Even though I told both of them it's not a date, they didn't listen to me. I think the poor guy got nervous.

• Thanks for BA :-)

• You're welcome

What Guys Said 2

• Set your boundaries better with "just friends" and do not flirt with any of them. EVER. Not even in silly over the too ways. NO FLIRTING EVER! And avoid sexual topics and jokes as well.

• Alright. But if a guy makes dirty jokes should I not laugh?

• Argh. That's going to be kind of hard lol

• Now if you clearly establish boundaries, you can still laugh at jokes, but there will still be some that think its a signal.

• Just make it clear. Males, esp. young ones, esp. around pretty women, will become crazy delusional about things like this. "Unspoken" equals "Fair Game".

What Girls Said 1

• Because that is how men are hard wired.. They generally befriend you with an ulterior motive