Are black people more religious?

So, I'm a white male, atheist (well, agnostic, I suppose). And I've recently signed up on an online dating site.

Now, while I've only ever dated white girls in the past, I could honestly give a rat's ass what the color of your skin is as long as we've got some mutual interests and attraction. So I'm going through online profiles, and it seems like every black woman I come across in the site's matching function lists their religion as some form of Christian, and mentions Jesus at least twice in their profile.

I mean, we're talking women that I'd normally match up with pretty well with except for this serious devotion to Christianity. Now, I don't begrudge anyone their religion, but I don't enjoy conversion attempts, and in my experience, those are ultimately inevitable when dealing with people who are strong in their religious convictions.

Anyway, I just found it odd. It seems to me that most other races I've looked at are around 50/50 on matters of piety, or if they do subscribe to a religion, they do so halfheartedly, like they could really go either way. Black women seem pretty damn serious about it, though.

Am I just reading my limited experience here wrong, or is this a cultural thing that I was previously just ignorant of?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't believe that they are anymore religious than anyone else. I think that black women might feel more pressure to break away from some of their black stereotypes, by overly pronouncing their faith. Which if you think about it, is pretty much the opposite of their stereotypes.

• I wasn't aware of any religious stereotypes involving black people, apart from charismatic churches.

Well, y'know, taking hedonistic rappers out of the equation.

• I am talking about black unwed mothers that sleep around and don't know who the father is, and all that stuff. Christians are suppose to wait until marriage and act pretty much the opposite of how black women have been portrayed. So these black women are likely trying to portray a more favorable image to attract a man. This is just a guess, because I have never known black people to act more religious so I am guessing they are just trying to put on a show the way many Christians do.

What Girls Said 7

• ummmmm ha ha they are. I honestly have no idea why, I'm black (and also agnostic/atheist) and I can easily say that 95% of the black people (and almost all of my relatives) are religious and some to the point of insanity. ha ha I don't know what else to say, I guess its just a cultural thing. I don't understand christians so I can't really explain it. sorry.

• No, I wouldn't exactly think so.

• Ahah yeah in my experience

• The older generations of black people are, but not the younger generations.

• I've noticed they are

• I dated a white Wiccan before. All hell broke loose when my parents found out.

I can't really speak for every black person (because I don't know them all) but I only know one black atheist. Every black person I know is a Christian. Some aren't the most religions though, but can be religious (example me) Plus I live in the bible belt.

• I'm a Christian black woman. I haven't been to church in a very long time but I pray every day and have a relationship with God. It's more of a spiritual thing for me. most older people (35+) tend to be more religious in general

What Guys Said 6

• Most people in the South or with roots in the South are infected with this funny fundie Baptist religion, in one form or another.

Sherman should have stamped it out, along with burning all the plantation mansions.

• this is true. I on the other hand, am an agnostic atheist. throughout my short years on this planet, statically (this is a VERY rough estimation) out of my black friends 90% believe in a God. of my Caucasian friends it's about 60%, of my Hispanic friends its about 70%.

• Black people are indeed statistically more religious.

• I saw an episode of "Wife Swap" where they swap wives for about months I think, when the new wife meet the new family (which are black) the black family are atheist.

• It appears so. But, I think that's a secondary obstacle in attempting to date them.

• What do you think is the primary?

• Are you allowed on blackpeoplemeet.com? Or is that only for black people?

• Beats me, I'm not specifically looking for black women to date. Anyway, I imagine sites like that cater to people of one ethnicity looking for members of the same.