Text messaging vs. phone calls.

Now it seems like all people ever do is text. I see texting as a crutch when it comes to actually conversating with someone. It's so much easier to just plan ahead what we say. I will use a text for something quick and often times I feel offended when a guy insists on having conversations through text messages. Why is it that people are so afraid to call the person? What is your opinion on the whole thing? Do you think text messaging has ruined communication?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think text messaging is exactly the same as chatting online. Hearing someone's voice is the next step to something more personal, you can uncover emotions a lot easier when you hear someone's voice, just as you can see and hear them in real life. I think people are more comfortable with texting at first, because of this. They don't want to reveal too much too fast and are quite possibly shy, wanting a little privacy, would prefer to text because they are doing other things in the meantime (you can't really pause whilse talking to someone on the phone) or may have some other intentions.

Usually when I text it's because I'm too shy to talk, or there are loads of things I have to do in the meantime, so it gives me that extra space in time to get things done whilst waiting for the person to respond. I think texting is more for people who want to say things but in a short time with a long waiting period, calling them is so much more personal and live-time if it's an actual conversation. Calling isn't so bad in a dating way if it's asking something practical like ''Where are you? what time shall we meet?'' as it is less personal.

I don't think texting is destroying our communication skills necessarily as I know of many guys who prefer to call, it startles me a little as I usually am the one who likes to text! Depends on people's preferences I think and how comfortable they feel. One of my friends also says he hates texting because it takes him too long to press the buttons, maybe because his hands are so big, haha.

• I agree with it being more personal. I think people are loosing that aspect in getting to know someone. I also think texting becuz you can't hear the persons voice can be misinterpreted often times. I also agree with the texting when your busy and don't mind a long wait, I do that a lot, but like you said some people are shy and its used as a conversational crutch.

What Guys Said 4

• Well I actually tend to live off texting, it's got a lot of advantages. It's more convenient since all parties don't need to be free at the same time, faster to simply state stuff cause you don't have to always have a back and forth conversation (just convey the message to the person), there's less of a chance you'll forget about it since you don't always remember what all you talk of but with texts you have it stored (like a list of people to pick up or what stuff to get), you can do more things like talk to somebody else among other stuff, allows you to communicate with more parties at once with mass text messaging etc. I prefer talking on the phone when it's something more particular or something that needs to be talked of in real details or if I'm doing something like playing ball, prefer in person even more than that, but texting has a lot of advantages and when you have the resource you may as well use it to its fullest. If anything texting may have some negative effects but the positives outweigh the negatives by far.

• i read an article about it in my schools newspaper- its actually a well written one, and is a good read... basically texting was invented for the hearing impaired, but caught on quickly with the non-hearing impaired, as you well see now

i use texting a lot, I use it mainly for conversating...but if I need to explain something that needs to be spoken I will call that person. for example I was texting my friend about a group of songs that belong to the same band, he didn't know that there was a group of songs, by the same band, so I just went ahead and called him to explain to him in spoken word why there is 3 songs by the same band..

i also call if its an emergency, not for just conversating, it ties up the line, what happens if someone needs to get through to you, and you're not able to end the convo with the person you're talking to or w/e

thats my rant of the day

hope it helps

• I would tell the person hold on a second I have another call lol If they get p*ssed about that, they're crazy.

• Exactly lol I find that odd too and he contradicts himself by saying that what if its an emergency and they need to get through to you. how can you say its rude to answer an incoming call then?? what if its an emergency and they too need to get through to you?

• I dislike both texting and phonecalls, and would much prefer to speak in person.

• i think people like texting better because through texting no one can really hurt you like if ur talking on the phone and ur nervous you might studder and mumble but if ur texting you can ask whatever it you want and not get hurt at all and even curse and not be hurt but if you call then the person can overpower you

What Girls Said 2

• i like texts more but don't mind talking on the phone either. On the phone I don't know what to say and I usually end up talking for 10 mins. With Text message I can go on all day if other person would talk to me. nothing wrong with either communication but talking in person is still better.Who have time to see each other often so you have to pick the best one that suit u.

• I prefer texting because it's cheaper lol. But if the other person rings me then yeh I prefer that and will talk quite happily for hours. I don't think it's ruined communication, I mean, everyone still has a choice. It's not like you cannot talk face to face anymore it's just people choose to text sometimes because it's more convenient.