What does the 'average' male think of dating a neurosurgeon?

Attractive, or destined to marry another surgeon/physician?

Currently an MD/PhD student

Most Helpful Guy

• See that's that's rough huh. Me personally, I can deal with really bright/smart people. The intelligence gap wouldn't bother me. Might to some but not me. 80 hr's a week is gonna be tough to swallow. I mean if I were married then that's a little different, I'd deal with it somehow.

Let's do the math here. So out of 168 hrs in a 7 day week you have about 6.5 hrs a day free. Assuming 6hrs of sleep a night and the 80 hrs for school. So in the the 6.5 hrs daily you need to squeeze in everything else including maybe sending him a text saying hi? You'd need to find someone that really doesn't enjoy seeing his Girlfriend that often and is super committed to you. He'd have to pretty much accommodate your schedule for good awhile.

• Well actually, based on your parameters, I'd have ~12.5 hours free per day. ;)

But, the reality is I'd likely have 1-2 days off per week and work a few +24 hour shifts (especially as a resident), so I'd have a few hours a week available for another person..

• I'll clarify that I realized you said 6.5 hours would be dedicated to sleep, but those 12 hours could easily be back to back, so we'll just call them free time.

• Yeah the math is irrelevant I guess. I can't imagine a dude that wouldn't. Dating a Neurosurgeon would be kinda neat actually. I could see how most guys wouldn't be interested. They think you'd only wanna date someone that's an MD or have a job that's comparable in education and pay. Better put, some guys would assume you wouldn't want to "date down".

What Guys Said 8

• Honestly, I wanted to do surgery for the longest time. But the work load and hours are excruciatingly strenuous and draining, at least this is what my hospital experience has shown me thus far. I wouldn't want something that takes the life out of my wife to the point where we don't have much time to spend together, or when we do, she's too worn out to want to do anything. I've got no reason to be intimidated about such a career path for a woman, nor do I fear brilliant or intelligent woman, all I care about is will we both have time and energy to see each other between work and kids/family if marriage comes in to play.

• I don't think your career plan would turn anyone off! And you'd always have things to talk about with such an interesting field of study.

Some guys might figure that they wouldn't have a chance, it's true, if they weren't on a similar career track, though.

• That's cool. As long as your personality isn't like a smart-alec, or know it all, I don't know why a guy would have a problem with it. There's no turnoff about dating a doctor unless he's the kind of guy who's insecure about a woman who makes more than him.

• So are you asking how I would feel about dating a neurosurgeon?

What she does for a living doesn't really matter to me. Few exceptions of course like a girl that's a cop or stripper. I'm assuming we'd get along right.

• I'm thinking more in terms of how many hours they work, although income and education may be factors as well. As a student I easily put in over 80 hours/week and can expect to put in over 100 hours/week when I become a resident..

• Commented above.

• i find it awesome although I might be a it self concious because even at my dream job I won't ever make as much as you... :/ so I don't know I feel like id doubt myself in the relationship...

• I personally don't like medical professionals.

I don't accept their "right" to regulate society and act as quasi-political figures.

• I don't now if I count as average (I have a PhD), but of course I'd be happy to date a neurosurgeon. Why wouldn't I? Healthy men feel attracted to smart woman, if that's what you're asking.

• Most people will assume you'd want nothing less than another surgeon or something on that level at least. Women don't typically date "down."

What Girls Said 0