Jews, Muslims and Catholics and anyone else, I have a dating-related question.

I’ve started online dating, and looking at some girls’ profiles I had a few questions.

If a girl lists her religion as Jewish, do you think that means she really is religiously Jewish or is it just Jewish identity? Aren’t many Jews basically secular?

If a girl lists herself as Catholic, is she likely to be a traditional Catholic, against abortion, contraception, premarital sex?

If a girl lists herself as Muslim but looks very Westernized (make-up, revealing clothes, etc), do you think she’s devout? I’ve heard that Bosniaks, Kurds, Albanians for example tend to be less devout (sometimes entirely lapsed) than other Muslim peoples.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a Catholic.

The thing with Catholics is that we are a church of one billion. one billion people do not think the same way or do the same things. So if a girl is a Catholic she might be very traditional or very progressive. This is all according to how serious she is with her faith and the church's ideology and how she thinks. OkCupid tries to help by letting you list your religion and telling others whether you are secular, mainstream or orthodox. If a Catholic girl lists as mainstream, she will probably be pro-life and against premarital sex, but die hard about it and might be okay with contraceptive use or gay marriage or something else. If she lists that she is orthodox, probably not much of a chance of her shying away from the traditional beliefs.

What Girls Said 3

• I'm Muslim but I'm very progressive. I wear revealing clothes sometimes, I like make up, and none of my boyfriends was Muslim. Even if I were to marry a non-Muslim, I wouldn't want him to convert.

I just abide by a few principles: I don't smoke, drink, take drugs, fornicate and such.

• why are you worrying about the religion? as long you find someone who can love you more than you can love yourself. go for it. and as long as you both respect each others religion, it won't matter. if she is devoted then respect.. some religious people don't follow what's on there belief. they have their own reason so I respect them.

• I'm catholic but very liberal.

What Guys Said 5

• Even if a Jewish girl isn't strict about it, her parents most likely will be if things ever get serious. Catholic most often means "My parents are Catholic and I was taught about Jesus". She's most likely not a devout Muslim if she's very Westernized.

I don't even look at religion since I'm not religious at all.

• I'm Catholic, though not devout by any means, and I support gay rights and am pro-choice. My parents are more devout than I am and my dad had a vasectomy years and years ago. I don't think all members of all religions are absolute sticklers for all of their "party lines" and the ones that are would probably be more than happy to express those stances up front.

• I am jewish. There are plenty of girls looking to be secular and come from a real jewish home. But there are those who just say the that have a jewish identity. All you just need rtyui so is ask two questions and you'll figure it out fast

• You really don't know unless you ask them. A lot of people just claim them to have an identity but don't follow the teachings in any way, they're basically non religious but just state it because they feel like it

• I'm Catholic and I don't claim to be it with no worth, I don't get why some people even bother to claim themselves as Catholic if they aren't in beliefs than they really aren't

• It depends. Look for words like "practicing" or "devout".

For example: "practicing Catholic", "devout Catholic", etc.

• What if the profile doesn't mention religion at all, except to say 'Catholic' in the 'Religion' box?

• You will have to ask the person themselves.