Why do women care about a guys grammar so much on POF?

So many women complain about grammar.

Personally, I can spell perfectly. I got the 3rd highest score in provincial tests of my school.

Yet many times I've not bothered to spell correctly, but that isn't a true measure of my intelligence at all.

Most Helpful Guy

• I view it as 1) can this person possibly be this stupid? And 2) they're clearly not putting their best foot forward, I don't want to meet someone that doesn't have the self respect to represent themself in the best possible way.

Dating profiles are ads. You're selling yourself, the profile is a sales pitch. I'm not buying anything from anyone that undervalues their product. It's just asking for trouble.

I do correct people's grammar and spelling. But I make mistakes myself. People can usually tell the difference between a typo or simple mistake, but if it's a habitual misspelling, or improper use of a word, that person's an idiot and needs to be educated. I also correct punctuation sometimes, because we have it for a reason. Punctuation facilitates reading and makes words on a page comprehensible.

What Girls Said 4

• It's not just women, it's men too. I never understood this. It's stupid. Especially when you actually KNOW what they mean, but you still want to be an ass about it. I guess it's the new trend.

• They don't care. They just like warning people of anything really, even pointless things in order to feel smarter themselves.

• You're promoting yourself on a public forum. At least make the effort and use spell check and figure out how to use proper grammar. It's the least someone can do. Spelling is a measure of intelligence, to a certain degree. Well read people generally spell better and have a better vocabulary.

• Guys care too. Why? I don't know.

What Guys Said 3

• You are correct that it isn't really a measure of intelligence, it is a measure of organizational skills, and more importantly on a dating website, a measure of how much effort you are putting into finding someone. If it appears you are half-assing your profile you may half-ass a relationship as well.

• Plenty of Fish isn't exactly known for having logical, high-minded people that would look past grammar.

• Grammar isn't spelling though. Spelling is spelling

• After read the question and the answers saying it's stupid to worry about it, the irony of your answer made my day. Thank you, and well done, sir.

• ikr? people who say grammar and punctuation don't matter probably just don't know how to use it

Idc to much bout spelling since these days EVERYTHING corrected for you, but if you can't form a proper sentence and/or you don't know why it's incorrect there's something wrong

i kinda agree SPELLING is kinda stupid to worry about (then again, when I see easy words miss spelled I just think "how stupid are you"), but grammar is needed.