Girl is funny on Facebook, but boring on dates. Should I take it personally?

Went out with a date with this girl. She was trying a bit too hard to be all proper and polite and say all the right things and I have to admit I found her rather awkward and boring.

I checked her Facebook page and she's actually a very funny and witty girl. I was wondering why I never met this funny girl on Facebook during the date.

Is it me? Maybe she wasn't that into me. Maybe I just didn't bring out the best in her? Should I take it personally?

Most Helpful Girl

• Either she was just shy/nervous, or she's simply different. On Facebook you have all the time in the world to come up with funny jokes or witty comments. In real life, face to face, your mind simply doesn't always click in 0.5 seconds for a funny joke. I don't know how many times I've gone over past conversations in my head, and then realized that I missed an opportunity to say something really funny just because I didn't think about it back then.

Also, don't take it personally. She'll probably loosen up a bit the more you see her (that is, if you want to). Give her some time. :)

What Girls Said 23

• As the other girls have said, she was most likely nervous. It was a first date, so give it another chance! It takes more than just one date to get to know someone's true personality. But also keep in mind that people present themselves as they want to be seen on Facebook sometimes. Wit and humor usually come effortless though, otherwise it wouldn't be witty or funny!

I'd suggest you go on another date and the more comfortable she feels around you, the more she'll open up and show her true colors. Just be patient ;)

• NO! Do not take it personally! Do not take anything personally. You are not responsible for her behavior, only she is. How funny or boring she is is not a reflection of who you are as a person. If you've found you don't care to hang out with her in person, then stop doing so. Move on to someone you DO like being around.

Of course this girl might just have been nervous around you. Maybe go out with her with another couple or a group. Find a way to make her more at ease around you. She might not have a lot of experience dating.

• Sounds like she was just nervous because of the date, as in trying a bit too hard to make a good impression. I actually think this is good, since it means she cares.

I'd say keep chatting with her, and the next time you meet in person try to help her by being cheerful and funny yourself (in case you were quiet in the last date. If you were already easy going, just keep it up!). Bring fun topics and jokes you both like so that she can play along. As soon as she grows comfortable around you, she will bring that attitude up herself.

Best of luck!

• She was probably nervous, just give her time to get relaxed with you. I do kind of the same thing. :)

• Maybe she was just nervous and shy around you face to face but when she gets on Facebook,she more comfortable and open. That's like when a girl is scared to tell a guy how she really feels about him so she writes it in a note or in a text to let it out.

Im like that also,i can't come face to face and tell a guy my true feelings toward him and that I love him and wanna be with him so I would write it down and that's how I would express it.

people are different and some are confident face to face and some aint.

• Well, that's good she was trying to be well-mannered and proper and polite. You don't want to arm wrestle or have a belching contest with your date, do you?

Seems like she feels more shy around you because she really likes you. She was probably just nervous on the date. I don't think you should take it personally.

• No you shouldn't take it personally. Most people are a lot more confident online than they are in real life. It's easier to type than it is to talk. You have more time to respond and you don't have to look anyone I'm the eyes! You should ask her out again if you like her, just to try and get her to come out of her shell a little bit. She might be the shy type that needs to get to know someone better in order to be themselves.

• Maybe she was nervous? But then again people are use to communicating through social networks and texting that they forget how to actually have a solid conversation with someone in person.

• Girls try not to show their full personality on the first couple of dates. They are trying to impress you and not trying to show a part of them that you might not like. Just start to slowly break her walls down and get her to be more comfortable around you!

• She's still not used to having you infront and talking. Maybe she doesn't want you to get turned off? I bet she likes you. Just ask her why she acts that way, and tell her to relax. And don't feel so negative with how she acts, i really think she likes you or she's just naturally shy.

• Actually it probably means that she IS into you and is trying to make you like her. What you secretly find funny, she is probably afraid you will consider lame or immature. Start joking with her, show her you're comfortable with off color humor and inappropriate jokes, and she'll probably relax. She just sounds nervous

• Maybe she was just shy at first. Take her on another date, or two. Maybe that awesome personality will show through when she gets a little more comfortable!

• You should probably get to know her in person better. I think it's safe to assume she was just nervous or shy.

• It takes time for a girl to open to a guy

• Maybe she has more confidence talking to you online and she gets nervous in real life so she's awkward

• No. A lot of girls are shy when it comes to face to face contact

• I think she was just nervous u should hang out some more and see if she relaxes and becomes that funny girl u liked on fb

• Not at all. Go on a few more dates trust me it takes a while to loosen up! I'm never able to show the real me on a first date, no matter how confident!

• She was probably really nervous. I know I'm always shy at first but after a couple of dates I am more comfortable and able to be myself.

• No you shouldn't take it personally. Dates make people nervous naturally. Maybe she was shy, and trying her best to impress you. Ask her where she might want to go on a date, or what she likes to do and then do that with her.
    Give her time she'll warm up to you. But if not than maybe she acts different on the Internet than what she does in person. That's when you drop it.

• Maybe she was trying to impress you, or she was nervous. I'm like that too! Very open and funny on FB but in front it is another thing, if i would be on a date, i would try to be very polite and show the best of me if you know what i mean

• Maybe she doesn't like you

• That's definitely possible!

• She's most likely shy or nervous. It can be less intimidating to talk to someone online than in person.

What Guys Said 6

• besides teh whole "shy" theory, some people are just DIFFERENT on Facebook than they are in person. A particular girl comes to my mind right away - my buddy's ex-gf. On FB she dumb as hell, posting a bunch of illogical and bad jokes. Her humor was awful. But in person? She was cool and funny as heck.

• Dont take anything personally. Many people are more open and confident online than in person. She's probably just nervous.

• she totally thought you were ugly

• I wouldn't say I'm ugly, but it's a definite possibility that she wasn't opening up to me because she wasn't all that attracted to me.

• she could be shy but I dunno, all I know is women are f***ing crazy

• She was nervous. Next date give her a few drinks to loosen up.

• It's worth giving a second try, and you might try to put her at easy. If you try, and she's boring on the second date, forget her.