How has technology changed dating?

i text him, he doesn't respond, but posts a Facebook update? in what ways do you think tech has changed the dating/marrying/etc. game?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it has both benefited and destroyed relationships. Its great that now you can just send a quick text or phone call or email or whatever to tell your SO that you're thinking about them or that you want to hang out etc so as far as keeping contact I think its great. Also with things like online dating it opens up your dating life into a national and even global scale to give you the "best" match for a partner and possibly lead you to your happy ending where as before it was all about actually going out and finding them. With the online dating there comes a lot of impostors disappointing dates when you realize they may not be the same person they were on your computer, also the how you met stories aren't as cute ;)

It has destroyed relationships in the sense that there is so little face to face contact anymore, its always texting and Facebook or twitter and I feel like its made people more awkward and lazy. I feel like texts are a lot less meaning full than actual conversation face to face, there's not as much of an emotion connection in that for me. People are now too scared to ask other out in person and instead now its just getting their number or adding them on Facebook and asking them out on there, to me it seems like less risk= less reward. Now also with social media sites its causing lots of emotional rollercoastering amongst couples with certain friends being added, pictures being posted, statuses written and what not. Things that make people start to doubt their relationship and become insecure.

In conclusion I am unsure as to the balance between the pros and cons but Its just the way things are today so deal with it or suffer :P

What Guys Said 4

• THE FUTURE IS ONLY DARK FROM THE OUTSIDE

LEAP INTO IT AND IT EXPLODES WITH LIGHT!

• Rejection via short messages has save us a lot of time and bad scenes.

• Social media has the ability to tell you a lot about the people you're connected with, through how they act and carry themselves online. You are able to see how they operate and function, along with their images, interests, backgrounds, etc.

I think in some ways, it's eliminating dating in the traditional sense because you no longer really need to in order to get to know someone like you did in the past. Information is more readily available.

Women might even be able to pick out and spot a future husband now, without having ever spoken to the guy before because they're able to connect the dots and make those connections, based on the information he puts out, and I know that there's potential for it to work the same for men. I have looked at some girls online and thought, "they have what it takes to make a good wife," but then after that it all comes down to personal preference.

• Basically, now my date is always on her phone all the time like a bitch. That's the big difference I've seen.

What Girls Said 3

• Of course there are some benefits to the technology we have these days, however I think it has had a negative impact on dating and even relationships (not just romantically). People rely on it so much and they want to analyze things like not texting back soon enough or how often they are tweeting or updating Facebook. What really should be happening is face to face communication, especially when its about something important.

Its become the way people would prefer to communicate which at times (even though yes its convenient) it seems somewhat impersonal to me. It also causes a lot of unnecessary drama, guessing games, and confusion, etc...

• I guess it has its pros and cons.

On one hand, it's easier to stay in touch, to chat and get to know people, to broaden our (literal) horizons of meeting a potential match and socializing. It's comfortable to chat without having to do all the ritual you need in order to physically go out (choosing an outfit, make up, transportation etc), and it's easier to think your responses before posting them so you have a good degree of control about the way you come across.

On the other hand... it's easier to lie and be lied at. You can't always trust the person you're chatting with is actually the same person behind the screen. Since it's easy to control your appearance, that may make you feel attracted to a person who isn't physically like that. If it's an online only / long distance relationship, well that's another debatable deal by itself. And about the socializing, well I guess it can be a somewhat hollowed out version of the real thing.

I personally love technology and like to use it to stay in touch with people and my boyfriend, but nothing beats meeting and dating in person.

• A lot. Facebook tells you a lot about people around you. It's really fascinating. And I think it gives guys more confidence to start the initial conversation. I noticed that after creating a Facebook account, my social life just.. got way busier haha.