Do you think that dating outside of your race is a learned thing?

I've noticed that people who have same race parents usually date within their race also. The reason I bring this up is because my boyfriend is white, I'm black, his parents are both white and separated, but both parents are dating black people. Just curious as to if you guys think this is a learned thing, or just a coincidence

Most Helpful Girl

• No, as long as there aren't big cultural differences. I mean you could meet a black guy being a white girl and totally get him because you went to school together or your backgrounds aren't really that different. But it could also happen like with me, I am Mexican and I dated this french guy and they don't pary for girls, not even on the first date. So it was a learning experience for the both of is

What Guys Said 5

• Quite the opposite. I think associating by race is a learned thing. For example, I volunteered at an all black school and the youngest kids often asked me if I was the father of the kids I worked with (I'm white). None of the older kids would assume that. A profound change happens during that first year of school.

• Well its half and half...I do notice that if the parents who raise the child are of the same race and are slightly racist, then yes, the child will not date outside of his/her race.

But sometimes this backfires and a person will want to rebel against racist parents by dating outside of his/her race.

• I think it depends on where you live. If you grew up in a big metropolitan city, its something I imagine you would be accustomed to.

• Well I live in the Caribbean, so I guess it's a bit more common here. We're more accepting I guess

• I think if your parents date outside of their ethnic group, it is not seen as a barrier for you to do so either. My mum is white and my dad is north African. My wifes mum is thai her father was white.

We are both mixed race and we have both had partners in the past from either or any ethnic group,

• I think it's a personal preference thing. Unfortunately I think in society today that it is almost a forced issue on some people and it's just not right. If you're comfortable dating outside your race then do so, but if not, don't. I am white and have dated a black girl in the past and we are still friends today which is great. Situations and interests present potential relationships, not having a set plan with set outlooks.

What Girls Said 7

• its not a race thing,its attraction

• No

It's a preference

And if he's also between the ages of 18 to 24 (I could be wrong) but at that point it wouldn't have been a learned thing.

• I would say if they've been exposed to people of different diversity at an early age, they are more likely to give others(not the same skin color or culture as them) a chance rather than feel inhibited

• No. I think it's the wrong thing.

• And that's why you're an anonymous a**hole :)

• Anything can be a learned thing, most of our behavior is established from observing others. I don't think it's a learned thing for everybody though. Some people probably just do it to be different or rebellious.

• I think it comes down to what/who you are attracted to period.

• I think it's just a coincidence. Dating outside your race has to with preference and comfort. Some people are comfortable with it,while others don't.