Dating a coworker? Okay or a big No No?

So my boss was talking to me the other day and randomly said to me and the guy that I'm friends with (we're really close, more than friends but not in a relationship...although we probably will be soon)

"Yeah, I don't care if employees date, I'd just want to know about it that way in case in the future things go sour, I can separate them."

My boss doesn't know that I "talk" to this guy like that...He thinks we are really good friends actually. Or so I thought...Maybe it's a little more obvious than we thought it was.

Anyways, I was wondering, do you feel like dating a coworker is okay? My manager told me that he once hired 2 sets of people that worked together and ended up getting married...

Or do you think it will be a BIG fat mess?

I surely hope not, but please be honest with me in your thoughts.

Might I add (don't know if this makes a difference, but I think it does) that we are both just part time associates at a retail store. It's not like it's a real professional workplace anyways... Everyone jokes around all the time. Plus we work opposite days anyways. I rarely see him at work to begin with. MAYBE once or twice a week. that's it.

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as your company allows it (a lot don't allow bosses to date co-workers lower on the company ladder), it's fine. Even in retail.

BUT you need to understand and be ready for if things don't work out. It's happened twice to me. One of them was awkward as hell for me because we worked the same shifts so I had to end up transferring.

Also, NEVER mix business with pleasure. I mean, don't act like a couple at work as it will lead to gossip (retail gossip spreads like wildfire) and a few upset people. Not to mention, it'll be a distraction.

So keep it mature and be wary of the possibilities if it doesn't work out and you'll be fine. Good luck.

What Guys Said 4

• The boss is wisely anticipating that you would have difficulty working together after a break-up, so it would be a mess, quite possibly. Usually one of the people then dates someone else at work, and then...!

There's always a gossip mill at work, so it's ALWAYS more obvious than people think. I've never seen people succeed in hiding a relationship, to be honest.

The reason the boss is saying he doesn't mind is because it isn't a long term workplace. And, you're both part timers. Obviously, he's also telling you he knows, and to be careful...

• I think it is fine as long as you stay professional and can still do your work. I think you should keep your personal and professional life separate, though. Dating a coworker could lead to personal issues getting in the way of work.

It's a fine line.

• It depends on whether or not your company allows it. If they do, then go for it, if they don't then don't risk it and I'm sure I don't need to tell you what the consequences of shitting where you eat may entail.

• NEVER "dip your pen in company ink" was the one thing my father stressed about work relationships.

What Girls Said 1

• I'd probably go with no, mainly because if it does end it can get really uncomfortable. And, if one of you ever gets farther in your job then the other. I mean, it can work out, but unless you really like this guy, I would probably just stay friends.