Can I sue someone for not paying me back when I only have a text message as proof?

I lent someone $1000 3 months ago. They said they'd pay me back a week after I gave them the money. I doubt I'm going to get my money back without a fight at this point. I saved the text of them asking me to loan them the money and I saved the text saying that they'd pay me back a week later. Is that enough?

Most Helpful Guy

• Do you have proof that you took the money out of your account on or after that text?

With the text and a withdraw from your bank statement you can prove a contract.

Do you know what that person did with the money and do you have proof?

I would not let that person Know you have the text. File a case in small claims court and take them to court.

First send them a certified letter or letter with proof of delivery asking when they plan to pay you back. You may text to gather as much evidence that the loan exist. The person may argue that it was a gift.

Your chances of wining are 70 %.

Good luck.

What Guys Said 5

• Hmm I don't know thatd be a hard case, because you'd have to prove that they were actually the person who had the phone, prove that you did in fact give them the money, both of ehich are fairly impossible since there was no objective third party person around. and youd have to prove they were able to give consent when you said it (so they werent like drunk or high at the time)

• Pretty much what he said. Third party sources sometimes and sometimes do not hold up in court.

• You have a good chance as long as the texts read "loan" & that they would "pay you back in a week"

• Anyone could have written that text message. Unfortunately I don't think you have a case, though you can try. Don't ever lend people money again.

• Possibly, this is a small claims court issue, so it might be enough.

• Why did you loan them this money?

What Girls Said 2

• This is why they say never loan someone money if you expect to get it back. You can certainly try but I don't see much coming from it unless the threat of a suit is enough to get that person to pay up.

• As far as I'm concerned, it's written proof that they said they would pay you back.

• So, yes, if you decided to pursue it, they would be legally forced to pay you back.