How many of you who are religious would date/marry someone who wasn't?

IF your boyfriend/ girlfriend is very attractive, amazing, kind, funny, smart, blah blah blah, basically perfect, but they just didn't believe in the same religious beliefs.

Example: You are christian and they are agnostic / Atheist, How would you feel? You tried to convince them but they have their mind made up and won't ever change their views.

Could you still date / marry them?

• I would date them and still marry them.
  • I would date them but not marry them.
  • I wouldn't date them anymore.
    Vote C
  • Want to see the results.
    Vote D
Select a gender to cast your vote:
Thanks for reminding me Michellemily, Sorry for the update, just to add in. They respect your views and beliefs with the most utmost respect and doesn't try to change your views.

2210

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as he respects my religion and doesn't try to convince me to change ( just how I wouldn't try to convince them to do so) I don't see any problem in dating or even marrying the person.

I'm always open for discussions and I don't have any problems with questions or even doubts towards my religious but arguments/discussions that lead to something like "don't you see how stupid your religion is" annoy me. But as I said as long as respect and tolerance is there, there should be no problem

• *towards my religious beliefs.

Update: No Problem :) I don't see any reason not to date then

Im actually shocked that the majority wouldn't date out of their religion.

Wondering if they wouldn't date someone with different political views either because to me its a pretty similar thing.

• I'm thinking the same thing, almost sad.

What Girls Said 21

• I'm sorry, but my faith is very important to me and it's necessary for my partner to share this. It's great if he respects my beliefs and all, but we would have to stay just friends. I need to marry a guy who loves the Lord. And I have no interest in dating a guy who I know I won't end up marrying.

• I had a pretty bad experience with this in the past. My ex-boyfriend is an atheist and I am a Christian. When we were together, we had one short conversation at the beginning in which we expressed our views (religious and political, which were both very different) and promised to accept each other anyway.

Basically, I held up my end of the deal throughout the relationship while he berated me about my views nearly nonstop and I had to end it because I started to absolutely dread seeing him because I knew that the second we met up we'd hug and then he'd start talking about something else I was "wrong" about (which apparently is everything).

Long story short, I'm not tolerating an a**hole like that ever again. But if I met an atheist/ agnostic/ religion other than Christian guy that actually meant it when he said he respected our differences in opinions, I'd give it a shot. But I'd prefer a Christian because it makes things simpler.

But I will never date a socialist authoritarian ever again. It's too much lunacy for my libertarian mind.

• As a Christian myself, and you claiming you are one also, but wouldn't date an athiest no more, but as I read your comment, I noticed an athiest moment in your comment. You called him an a**hole, Christians don't call people names, as we were instructed not to judge, that only God may judge, so by you calling him an a**hole, you are making God jealous, because that is his job.

• But I agree with you on the political views. I as a Libertarian Myself. But, political views are man made. Religion is not, that was here before we were.

• I think Christians and atheists have an equal propensity to be judgmental because we're all human. Christians are just supposed to atone for those kinds of things, which I do. I feel bad that I think my ex boyfriend is a total jerk. But that doesn't mean he isn't one.

• c id probs get hate for this but I don't wanna go anonymous so I'm just gonna b honest and say that I wouldn't date them. like I would really enjoy that person's company but I have this thing that sort of makes me keep people of other beliefs in the friend zone automatically.

i wouldn't try convert anyone, no way. if its their wish that's fantastic but I'm not one to force my beliefs on others.

• I dated a Christian for 2 years. He knew I was an atheist up front. Since I was polite and went to church for special occasions with his family he seemed to think I was being converted? I wasn't he basically gave me an ultimatum to become a Christian or it was off. I chose to be single. We are still friends but I wish I had known religion was such a deal breaker before wasting 2 years.

• I am spiritual and I would date or marry someone who wasn't, I have atheist friends guys and girls it has never gotten in the way, I respect their beliefs and they respect mine.

• C. I dated two guys who weren't Christians and it went horribly wrong because of our religious differences and the different opinions and views we had, now I'm dating my best friend who I go to church with and its awesome and I can see myself marrying him in the next few years ^_^

• If I loved them I would marry them weather they are religious or not, because you can find somebody that's an atheist, they never attend church, they hate God and don't want to have anything to do with him, then one day they could have a near death experience or something so great that can chance their life around for good, I always give people a chance no matter what, I don't usually judge a book by its cover.

• I'm Agnostic and I would date a Christian. As long as he respects my views and doesn' try to convince me I see no problem with dating him.

• I'm Catholic. I wouldn't say I souldn't date/marry a non-religious person. However, it would be something that had to be worked out becuase it can be a source of major conflict.

• whats more important to you? creator or the creation?

• I would be okay with that. I just wouldn't be able to if they were a completely different religion.

• i would date but not marry

• I am not religious and I would date a Christian.

• I would still want to be with him

• A basically perfect guy would share the same values in life and spirituality as me. I wouldn't even start a relationship with someone who didn't share my faith, because later on in life...marriage and kids will cause a LOT of issues. And I won't date a guy to convert them... that's my honest opinion

• I would. I just wouldn't date/marry someone who was anti-religion.

• I would date/marry him as long as he doesn't interfere.

• I'd date and marry them. My beliefs are sort of fluid. So as long as they can handle it, I don't care. Very few people ever find out about my beliefs anyway. Most assume I'm Christian.

• I'm a buddhist and I honestly don't mind at all as long as he's compatible with me. I hate fussing & fighting about religions and I don't think there is any point :/

• I wouldn't. Simply because it's just grounds for too much difficulty down the line with rearing children and family gatherings and whatnot. I just would rather be with someone who shares my religious views.

• I'm Christian, and I would want my partner to at least be Christian. They don't have to go to church or anything, but they still have to believe in God.

However, some relationships still work out with the people having different religious beliefs. Nothing wrong with that.

What Guys Said 10

• I'm not religious and when I read a dating profile and it mentions God I click away immediately. Luckily okcupid will show you into their religion they are and most aren't practicing. I'd better get along with an athiest than a hardcore catholic and I used to go to private school. Most practicing religions will insist you convert or else they'll dump you. The "no sex until marriage" is already deal breaker so the chance of me converting is none.

• I was born a Hindu, but now I'm an agnostic atheist. I wouldn't mind dating and marrying someone of a different religion, or atheists, or agnostics, or those of other ethnicity. If she has a kind heart and a nice personality, that's sufficient for me. I would never force my beliefs on her, and likewise I wouldn't want her to force her beliefs on me. There might be a problem with respect to kids, but I have thought of that too. We'll decide to have two kids, raising one of them my way (atheist) and the other according to her religion.

• No I wouldn't, I think logical first. In the long term it won't work and it wouldn't be worth the stress

• considering the fact that most modern atheists have a dramatic revelation between the ages of 10 to 18 then become atheist, maturity isn't usually at the top of the list so I can't imagine it working either way.

• If someone has good values and ethics,it shouldn't matter.

Organized religion is mostly bullsh*t.Christianity is a great thing,but you could sum that up on the back of a matchbox :"do unto others.etc,"

The New Testament part of the Bible was compiled by a Roman emporer,about 300 A.D.

The Pope,who was under house arrest at the time,sacked 700 bishops who opposed the emporer's wishes.So much for religion.It ain't the word of God,it's the words of a Roman emporer.

The Old Testament part of the Bible was composed much later.

Believe what you will,but morality is more important than religion.

• I probably couldn't date someone who is agnostic, given how religious I am, but I'm open-minded. You should have a shared viewpoint on religion if you want your marriage to work in that regard. Not saying it isn't possible, but it certainly is a good trait to have in anyones relationship.

• The answer to this question would vary with every religion.

It also depends on what you call religious. Many people belong to one of the 3 monotheistic relogions, but say "I believe in God; I don't practice a, b & c but I think to be a good xxxxxx, you have to be a good person". Bull f$$$ing crap ! Religion has basic mandatory requirements and you either follow them or you don't. THAT is what determines if you are religious.

• i'm an atheist that is willing to date/marry someone with religious beliefs. I am not willing to marry anyone that wants kids later down the line, I don't children, I'd make a terrible father.

• Voted B

• I am an atheist and wouldn't marry a Christan because it is part of their belief to convert others. I mean if they love me, of course they would keep trying to save me from eternal hellfire. So it is impossible for them to be respectful of my beliefs and not try to convert me. Others religions are not about converting people so they would be less problematic. In the end I think it would depend on which religion they followed.

• I wouldn't date someone who didn't share my beliefs to start with. My relationship with Jesus is very important to me, and the Bible even specifically warns against marrying someone who isn't a fellow Christian.