Is it a date if a guy asks you to dinner and wants to pay?

My friend said he wanted to get dinner with me and that he would pay. Does that imply a date or do guys say that to their friends too?

Here's a little background info: we are from the same area but I moved about an hour away. He said that when I come home next time to let him know and that we can get dinner on him.

He also said a while ago that we should go to a concert and that he would pay for me.

He hasn't actually paid for me ever, but he does offer sometimes. I usually pay for myself though without him offering

Does that clear anything up at all?

Most Helpful Guy

• I pay for friends that are girls, especially if I don't have a girlfriend. That doesn't mean that I'm trying to date them. With that being said, pay attention to his words and actions if you think he's trying to impress you, then you'll have an idea if it could be a date.

What Guys Said 5

• Sounds like a date.

That, and he likely sees you as more than just a friend.

• Seems like he's just trying to be nice

• DATE I GUESS!

• Sounds like a date to me. I don't offer to pay for people who I consider friends. We go out and enjoy each others company but with separate bills

• It depends on the circumstances. Where you hanging out and he said I'm hungry lets go get something to eat, to which you replied I don't have much money right now, and he was like no worries I got you. If it was something like that then he's just being a good friend. If he called you up on the phone and was like we should go out sometime, and you're like huh? and he's like let my buy you dinner this Friday night, what kind of food do you like? Then yes, he's probably trying to line up a date.

• We hung out a couple days ago and he said next time I came home we should go out to dinner on him

• So you're going away somewhere like college, and he said he'd take you out to celebrate when you get back? Then nope, not a date.

• Yeah I'm in college and I live away from home! I don't know what we would be celebrating by me comin home though, I live an hour away and it's not like I never come home lol

What Girls Said 3

• In most cases, I'd say it'd be a date.

But in your case, I think he's just being nice, trying to do something nice for a friend.

• Sounds like a date

• Yes, that's a date