How long would you have to date someone in order to think about marrying them?

Most Helpful Guy

• 4+ years.

No way in hell I'm giving half of my 6 figure salary & retirement fund to a potential x-wife. I've worked, bled, and gave up so much of my youth to lead a privileged life.

• DAMN STRAIGHT, Amen to this bro.

Never get married (read: become a p****-slave)

• You could always get a prenup. I don't see why more people don't get them considering the relatively low success rate of marriages these days.

What Guys Said 8

• only because of past experiences I've sort of instituated a 2year rule. Obviously I'll "think" of marrying someone earlier than that. I mean I probably start thinking about it theoretically in my head after a short period of time. But otherwise I have sort of implemented a 2year rule before I would actually decided I want to marry someone

• I wouldn't seriously consider it until 9 months at the very least. By the end of the first year I feel you should give some consideration to how much long term interest you have in someone. Not marriage necessarily but after a year you should know if it just isn't going to happen in the long run and if it isn't you should consider why you're still together.

Aside from that, consider it when you're ready to consider it. There's no cookie cutter schedule.

Personally, I think taking your time and giving the relationship couple years before jumping in is probably wise. However, you shouldn't spend two or three years on a relationship you knew wasn't going anywhere after a few months.

• I've been with the same girl for about 4 years now. While things are great, we both know there are still so many things to do before getting married. We are you. I don't know why people get married in their early 20s. Like, when you see a couple whose engaged but still in college. All I can ever think is wow, your missing out on life.

Idk why people are in such a rush to "grow up"

• It's not about the length of time you date someone but the ground the relationship stands on.

• I wouldn't. We can live together whenever, but marriage is out of the question.

It just doesn't mean anything anymore.

• Until the end of time since I'm sure as hell never getting married.

For a man, marriage is a submission to slavery and usury.

• My wife and I talked about "marriage" in a hypothetical sense 2 months after we started dating. We ended up dating a year before we got engaged, then were engaged for a year.

• At least a year, and it would have to be a pretty amazing year.

What Girls Said 3

• 2+ years, but preferably 3-4 years of being together.

Marriage is a lifelong commitment and I think it can takes years to truly get to know someone and know whether you want to spend the rest of your life with someone.

You'll see more of their true colors and how they truly are.

But I also feel as though marriage shouldn't come until after both partners have completed college and started their careers. I think financial and emotional stability are extremely important.

If you're not in a place to give it your all or fight for your marriage then you have no business getting married.

• For me 2+ years.

• Wow not much men wanna get married anymore :/