Online dating profiles: Best to keep them minimalistic?

Is it best to put some effort into it, or to remain a bit minimalistic? What will attract the best attention?

Most Helpful Girl

• Put effort into it, especially since you're a guy. A girl's biggest fear with online dating is that she's going to meet a rapist or a murderer, so vague or underdone profiles will probably be skipped in favor of more detailed profiles since a rapist or murderer probably wouldn't put that much time into a profile.

• Actually the more effort a person puts into the online communication, the more likely he is to be either socially phobic, or a scammer.

If you use common sense you have very little to be concerned with rapists because all you have to do is simply stay public and not go to each others' places.

When's the last time you heard of a rapist tackling a woman in a coffee shop?

The people putting the most effort online also tend to be money scammers. Look at the stories on MTV's "Catfish."

What Girls Said 7

• I think a little minimalism(:3) is mysterious. A little mystery never hurt a man or woman.

Definitely provide enough where they know the basics about you but why reveal everything online? Let her do some digging and then there will be more to talk about and the conversation will surely be smoother when she has something to learn and you have something to talk with ease about (yourself)

• I think effort is important, it citing your interest or hobbies can be a good conversation starter. Personally , I don't even bother starting a conversation with a guy who has either a single profile picture or little to no description...

• I've found writing less in my profile has lead to more messages coming my way unsolicited.

• yeah you need to private message each other rather than working so much on your profile!

• A little bit of mystery can be intriguing...just be truthful about the part you share !

• yes, and what you do put up make sure its of good quality. like a clear and good quality pic of you out with friends, not a self in a dime light bathroom:)

• Put effort in so people know who you are

• People like to fill in the blanks...

What Guys Said 1

• I've honestly tried different approaches but there's a few catches to each side.

A very detailed profile leaves barely anything to actually talk about. But saying that you want a relationship, etc, can attract a woman who is looking for the same thing, but, might also expect you to commit after one date. That's my experience with that. She was very clingy too!

However, I typically got more messages from a light profile when I was looking for something casual, but these girls were definitely serial daters. I was literally stuck with girls who were clearly messaging other guys and meeting up with them. One literally met up with me and then had pre-planned a date with another guy(the same day) that she was claiming was "just a friend" when I had no intention of committing to her and surely enough she was lying.

• She was also a seriously bad dater if she told you about it in the first place...talk about making everything awkward on a first date

• The first date one? She told me I needed to delete my profile and all that stuff when I met her from a free site and had a match.com profile told that I paid for and didn't want to toss the money out if it didn't work out.

She was a sheltered girl that I broke up with overtime because she didn't have a car and told me(22 years old) that she wasn't gonna get one for two years because she couldn't be bothered with things like oil changes.