Would you date someone that smokes cigarettes?

question says it all... would you?

would there be exceptions?

• Yes
  • No
  • Only if they were trying to quit
  • Irrelevant/ no preference
wow I wish this many people answered all my other questions haha.. I guess I should keep questions short and sweet to get responses

Most Helpful Girl

• I just started seeing a really awesome guy I know, and just last night I found out he smokes. It's definitely a turn-off, but I don't know if it's a deal breaker, especially since the entire night we had been having talking about our pasts, our flaws--and I suppose that's one of his. He doesn't smoke too much; he said it's only really when he drinks. He says he's trying to quit gradually and that he tried cold-turkey before but that it was too hard, so it helps to know that he's trying.

I guess it's part of accepting people's flaws for what they are. He accepted the flaws I told him I have, so I think it's only fair to accept him the way he is too. So maybe he's an exception (because other than the smoking he's totally cool) but for now, I'll have to say I would date a smoker!

What Girls Said 27

• No. I don't smoke, I hate the smell, not to mention the awful medical implications and danger posed to yourself wether or not you smoke, the danger of having it spread, the problems of lung cancer if you you have any future plans with them at all. I just can't trust someone who would willingly do that to their body unless they are seriously trying to quit for a good enough cause.

• F*** no. No exception. I've never smoked and no one in my family smokes. I hate the smell, I hate the trend and my lungs are rather weak, so I'd never, EVER settle for a smoker. It's a crumby habit to me and a total deal breaker, sorry.

• Yeah no. Just no. No exceptions. I don't care if he's God's gift to women. Just no. :p

• if he was gods gift you totally would and you know it

• lol, you only say that cause youve prob never been in love or known someone you really liked that much. most girls say what you're saying untill they meet THAT guy.. then all their lies fly out the window

• I am in a relationship thank you. I have been for two years now. I intend to marry him. However, if he started smoking I would leave him.

• Nope, he would smoke around me and I would cough. He'd smell like it, be around my friends and fam with it. Most importantly I'm not putting my life at risk, it's a better chance I'll catch some form of cancer than he would!

• only if they're genuinely trying to quit. Because I won't take that nonsense. Nor the stink.

So if they are genuinely trying their best to quit, dating me would definitely help. Guatanteed.

• Yea, I would, I smoke and have lived with people who have. I don't do it often but it don't matter to me weather the person smokes or not if I truly love them it wouldn't matter to me.

• Smoking is disgusting and I don't want to kiss an ashtray. So HELL NO!

• Why not?I don't smoke since most of the smokers in family got cancer,but I wouldn't mind if a guy smoked.

• yeah no biggie,it's bad for his health though so I'd do my best to make him stop because I'd be worried about him

I wouldn't be happy watching my boyfriend die

• It doesn't bother me, like it used to. Why completely shut yourself off to a group off people, just because they smoke? You could be missing out on someone. It's not the worst thing, either.

• depends on why they smoke but generally, its irrelevant because if I like you then its likely that you're not a loser who just smokes to look cool lol

• Yeah, I don't really have a problem with it, since my mom smokes, so I'm kinda used to it. Sometimes, if he's a heavy smoker I wouldn't do it only because it feels like you're kissing an ashtray.

• No, I wouldn't. His clothes would smell of it all day and it would be on his breath for a few hours. Not attractive at all. And if he were to smoke around me, it would make me cough like crazy. I can't stand it.

• I smoke, so yes

• Never!.

I can't imagine passionately kissing someone who smokes cigarettes.I totally can't stand the smell of cigarette.A guy who doesn't know how to take care of his basic health and oral hygience isn't attractive to me..Sorry.

• No, I would not. I really want to say no exceptions.

• Yes I am a smoker myself.

• NO

• No way no how!

• I would, although my wife doesn't smoke.

• Nope.

• Yes I would

• I would, if things get serious between us, I'll want him to quit.

so you could say it's a no.

• Hate the smell!

• Yes, and have before.

It wasn't a big deal. He was very respectful, didn't smoke in my house or car, he always smoked outside anyway, wouldn't even smoke in his own house.

Kissing him didn't taste like an ashtray either.

It was a non-issue.

• By the way, I don't smoke and never have.

• because its out of context.. duh

• Whatever dude. Later.

• It mostly depends on the person. It's not a flaw, just a bad habit.

• I don't prefer it but I have dated guys that do.

What Guys Said 27

• Depends, if I really thought the world of them I'd try and deal with it... But I've dated smokers in the past, they used to say that if they hadn't smoked in like an hour I wouldn't notice... But I really really did.

• As long as it is not near me I don't mind. I do admit I can't inhale it but if she's not smoking near me it's not a big deal.

I know a lot of girls just can't handle it and I don't blame them.

• I don't know its definity a turn off , the last couple girls I was interested in weren't regular smokers however there has been some who did smoke the odd cigarette , I've meet some nice girls who smoked who would of been worth dating but in general its a turn off

• if she smokes, she pokes...

But seriously, while a turn-off, it's not enough for me to completely rule out dating someone just because of it.

• Absolutly not. I am pretty loose when it comes to standards but cigarettes are about the biggest pet peeve I have.

• I can't date someone who smokes

I am really bad allergic to cigarette smoke and they make breathing, seeing and staying healthy hard for me. Also, they smell bad and make everything around them smell bad, have disgusting breath and teeth, and a crap ton of heath issues. I can't deal with that.

• Turn off. No matter how attractive she is a cigarette in her mouth or hand it will send me in the opposite direction.

• I'd have sex with no attachments with a smoker. But nothing more than that. I tried to date a smoker once, but it didn't work.

• I don't think I would.. The smell makes me totally sick. I'm also prone to bronchitis and smoke and dust just exacerbates it.

• Nope.

If you're trying to quit come find me when you succeed.

• If she were in the process of quitting, maybe. If not, no.

• Only on the condition that she was truly trying to quit.

• I'll be honest I could not the smell bothers me so I would not feelokay dating a smoker.

• the kiss of a smoker is disgusting.

• No. Its an instant turn off for me.

• no

• It would never really change my opinion of someone.

• No I hate the smell.

• i would. who cares

• Yes. I think it's hot when a hot girl does it.

• Voted D

• Instant turn off.

• to those of you who are so obviously stereotyping smokers, your all wrong. we don't smell like smoke or taste like smoke (unless we smoke a pack or two a day). I think most people would be surprised that A LOT of smokers smell, taste, and act like normal people... yes that's right, we're not ashtrays that crawled out of the earth. I smoke a handful throughout my long days at work. I don't have yellow teeth, nor yellow fingernails, I have excellent hygiene, etc, etc.

• I'd bet half of people whining about smokers smelling like an ashtray don't have nice smelling breath 24/7 unless they brush 8 times a day, which they don't & plain bad breath in my opinion is raunchier then smoke. The other half by the looks of them never even kissed anyone before other then their momma good-nite so how do they know what kissing an ashtray is like.

So yea, I would make exceptions.

• well since I smoke, id say yes. but if I quit and then met a girl who smoked - id still say yes. why? because there's more to a person than their actions and decisions. it says nothing at all about who they are and what they're values are. for instance, I'm a full time grad student studying biology, I never eat fast food AND I exercise weekly...

• contrary to stereotypes that is

• yah, honestly who gives a f*** if they smoke or not.. usually girls who smoke are not so stuck up and prudish and more fun to be around for that matter (usually better in bed too)

• I would agree ;P

• I was confronted by this very question last week, haha, with an adorable female classmate who smokes. She likes to chat, laughs at retarded stuff I says, and switched tables to sit by me after we caught each others' gaze a few times and grinned at each other. In all fairness, after I remarked one time she smelled like smoke, she said she would try to stop.

Nope, we haven't gone out, and are not going to.

• 100% no.