Getting dressed up for a date=wrong impression

how does what you wear on a date give a certain impression to the guy? guys, girls, you are both welcome to answer

Most Helpful Girl

• Generally, it's best to try to keep the over-the-top, obviously trying too hard look at bay. Wearing an outfit that gives you the look of "effortlessly thrown together, yet still uber hot" will be sure to impress. Stylish basics with more funky accessories to give the ensemble edge is the way to go. For example, the ever popular jean with a trendy twist (high waisted, skinny, wide leg, distressed, acid wash, etc.), and a good quality top, paired with a statement bag, and/or attention grabbing, chic boots.

However, I think that the first date's destination helps the most when deciding on what outfit to wear/what would be appropriate. If you are heading to night club then you would probably be safe choosing a more "sexy", skin baring outfit. Also, lots of makeup would be acceptable and not viewed as skanky. If your heading to a house party, then the whole laid back chic look, with the attention grabbing accessories would be a good choice. But if it's like a nature walk then obviously you'll want to dress for comfort/outdoors (AGAIN, wear a knock out accessory like gorgeous sunglasses).

Also, I just want to add that confidence is the best thing to "wear" on a first date. Wearing clothes that make you feel attractive will boost your confidence, give you a glow, relax facial muscles and allow you to have better convesations, in turn making your date more attracted to you. Wearing a piece that is trendy and gives your outfit edge, will not look good (just awkward) if you feel like it's wrong for you, and feel self-concious about it throughout your date.

What Guys Said 2

• the biggest thing to remember is not to overdress for the occasion, or else you'll give off the impression of being high maintenance. dress as casual as you can get away with for the place the date will be at, and you'll be good as gold. now remember, casual doesn't mean looking slutty or showing off a lot of skin. I would say that one of the biggest things a girl could do to put me off on a first date would be to dress in an outfit that looks like it has a triple digit price tag.

most men want to be able to act as a provider in some way or their women, and if you look like you're accustomed to a higher standard of living than they can provide for, that's very intimidating and a good way to scare them off.

• im guessing this is in response to my answer comment on another question

umm, what I meant was saying, if you show too much skin sooo early, ur viewed as easy: that's why when we see you for the first time, in very revealing clothing, we tend to think to ourselves "eh, sexable, but probably not dateable" for a number of reasons, first one being she's too good for us

basically what I'm saying is, if you don't want sex right away, don't show a lot of skin

and besides he was attracted to you in what he first saw you in, y change that?

What Girls Said 3

• i like guys who are at the same level as me. I guess, I'm not into guys who dress too casual on the first date. he'll have to try a bit. he can dress casual later on , even though I like casual.

the little bit of effort in his wardrobe will make me more attracted to him, and of course personality is more important. I usually wear a dress or a skirt with heels anyways, so I'm used to being dressed up. obviously, I'm covered up but not too much, like idk, like in the summer, I don't see anything wrong with wearing a skirt and a cute top. on a date I would wear this and it was ok. obviously I wouldn't wear like really short skirts, 3 inch boots and a shirt that showed off my tummy---that would give the wrong impression.

i appreciate guys with a sense of style and they actually try to look good.

• What you wear is who you are so it gives off a huge impression. For example, if you go wearing revealing clothes then they'll assume you're a slut. But at the end of the day you should wear what you want and feel comfortable whether that is revealing clothes or not. I think the biggest impression people have off you comes from appearance.

• Not too dressy, but a little dressy.