Do YouTube dating gurus depress you?

I sometimes watch people like JLovetalk and Jenna Marbles. And to be honest, I don't watch if I can since they depress me.

Not because they say things that offend me, they often criticise chumps/betas, and I don't have those traits in my character. But they tend to have a very bittersweet and negative worldview, in that life is about druging through and bitter disappointments. I'm not a dope and accept that the world has a lot of negative things in it, but this doesn't mean everything must be bad.

They also are full of sh*t sometimes (which amuses me frankly) as they would say to "be nice to everybody" but then in the next video say "don't date losers who won't have the balls to approach you" lol..

Most Helpful Girl

• Do YouTube dating gurus depress you?

Nope as I find most of the male YouTube dating gurus support my opinion on males. The rampant bitterness, resentfulness, and misogyny and how it's applauded, defended, and encouraged is quite supportive of my regard of males.

"They also are full of sh*t sometimes (which amuses me frankly) as they would say to "be nice to everybody" but then in the next video say "don't date losers who won't have the balls to approach you" lol.."

Egh I don't find that being full of sh*t as being nice to a person doesn't mean you'd have to date them or think positively of them.

• yeah.. and people don't interpret comments differently.

What Girls Said 14

• If they bug you that much, just don't watch their videos or take their advice. Nobody is forcing you. And really, since when is Jenna Marbles a dating guru? I'd call her a comedian, if anything.

Also, as many have pointed out already, just because you're nice to someone it doesn't mean that you have to date them. You are never ENTITLED to a date "just because a, b, and c"; if a person wants to or doesn't want to date you, that's their choice. And as harveykinkle said, making the choice of not dating passive people can be a good move for some. If they're too scared to even talk to you, I think it's a big sign that the relationship will need crazy amounts of effort and work, which some people don't need/want/are attracted to. Not saying relationships don't need any effort, because they do, but in my opinion it should be 50/50.

As for having a negative world view, I must say that you don't seem like the most positive person either.

• yes, I am positive. Though according to you, it's evil to hold opinions/views, since to me being "nice" is not asserting negatives about anybody.

lol.. I don't get why you seek to regulate opinions or who does what in life. lol.. the quasi-police has arrived.

• what? lol.. I don't care. your worldview is not even grounded.

• It's great to know that you know exactly who I am judging by a few comments!

• I wouldn't call Jenna Marbles a dating guru...she's just freaking hilarious.

• You do realize that absolutely ANYBODY can post a video on YouTube. Anybody can CLAIM to be a guru but that doesn't mean they are one. If you find a video upsets you or doesn't help you then move on & watch something else.

• lol.. I don't care what people post. it's a free world, and I welcome greatly freedom of expression.

• You're going to talk about someone having a "negative world view"? You're kidding right? You are so negative about the world and people, come on

No they don't. I take it with a grain of salt

• so what perchance do I say that is negative? lol..

• haha.. All I have to say is that if you and your friends here contradict, so can I.

Explain why not, or why I shouldn't.

• lol.. you still amuse me. you realize you have made judgements of me, but I don't care. you don't get reciprocity and still think I must have the lesser hand in this discussion lol..

• Are you maybe looking for more than these videos are meant offer which is just entertainment? These are just people's opinions.

Being nice to someone doesn't mean you have to date them. Also, generally if a guy "doesn't have the balls to approach" he will be to scared to do everything else too which makes it a one sided relationship really...

• eh? I mean that they amuse me since they're full of sh*t.

• Jenna marbles only depresses me because I envy her means of income. its obvious she doesn't work a boring 9-5 and gets to travel etc

• A relative of mine is fairly famous on YouTube, she has more than 500,000 subscribers but then again she is more of a beauty guru. She does know people who have done collaborations with the likes of Fred and Shane Dawson. I don't really watch JLovetalk but I have seen a few of Jenna Marbles' videos and they are funny sometimes but sometimes I don't see the point.

• They don't depress me at all. I actually find a lot of those shows super funny.

It's all sarcasm, they don't actually mean a lot of what they say.. it just for laughs! :)

• Lol, since when is Jenna Marbles a dating guru? Of her hundreds of videos, I think she has like ONE that can be related to giving dating advice, and it still isn't really that sort of video. Her video where she rants about the whole "nice guys finish last" idea, and that's about. Everything else is just various rants, her talking about her dogs, and makeup tutorials.

• yeah.. I must be "nice" to you lol..

• If you got anything but that I simply do not consider Jenna Marbles to be a dating guru, you must have very poor reading comprehension skills. Because that's ALL I said, lol. The men on this website are such pathetic morons. You're just like the rest of them, loser.

• I never asked you to. You still haven't even explained what sorts of things I revealed to you in my answer... And I never once said anything about you being nice to anyone. I just said I think you're a moron, and that's all.

• No they don't never watched them

• There's one who is good looking matthew hussey but I don't believe in those tips

• well that's most comedians for ya... most are miserable with their own lives or maybe their audience is miserable and they demand those types of hateful jokes... Jenna Marbles annoys the crap out of me, her annoying voice when she talks to her dogs.. that is five year old humor... and yes she is generally hateful. lol I just realized I'm hating on her hatefulness... don't hate me for that:D

• bahaha jk I love her! link . I am the "super natural eye look"

• Lol. I think they're meant to, but then you realize it's all crap anyhow...

• Don't listen to them. Listen to yourself

• I always do. I am a free spirit without chains.

What Guys Said 9

• Haha, I've never seen JennaMarbles claim to be a guru on anything. And she would be the last one to say "Don't date losers who don't have the balls to approach you." She made a whole video about how girls like that piss her off.

Though, logically, there is basically no way to say, "Don't date losers who don't have the balls to approach you.", without also being a hypocrite. You're expecting someone to do something, and you're expecting that you shouldn't have to do it yourself. If a girl doesn't date guys who don't ask her out, guys should raise their standards and not date girls like her who refuse to ask guys out.

I'm not sure I've seen a lot of this pessimism you are talking about. Dating tips videos, at least ones by larger sites, usually tend to have the attitude of "Have fun and be yourself, there are lots of amazing people out there to meet!"

• lol.. yeah, so I'm not entitled to my own views...

• And if I choose to see life in a bright way, who are you to say otherwise? hmm?

• I don't even know what you are talking about anymore.

• Funny story, although I'm sure everyone will call bullish*t: I almost hooked up with Jenna "Marbles" back like 5 years ago, before she blew up. My buddy used to do MMA, and she was one of the ring card girls. The ass wouldn't quit, so I went and gamed her up a bit. She was definitely DTF, we emailed each other a few times, but she was living in Boston and I was on the other side of the state, so we never got together. I think she's annoying as hell now, and I think she's one of those comediennes that contribute to the stereotype of women not being funny, but she gets that long money now. I definitely missed the boat there, haha.

• I find YouTube "dating gurus" ridiculous ... I can totally relate with you that you feel often offended when they talk about the "bums, chums, betas, nice guys, etc."

I'm a typical nice guy and I'm pretty shy, yet I get the most appreciation from other women than the machos and "alpha" males.

Just out of a 3,5 year relationship I've got one girl who's 1000% interested in me, who I've had many memorable nights with and am counted as her "top" man (she's a strong 9) ... another girl who I'm currently seeing who's again 1000% into me and we're a millimetre away from being a couple (8/10) and a third girl who's quite attracted to me (7/10).

On top of all that I can see quite a few girls at my Uni are attracted to me. But all this doesn't make me alpha!

Alpha ... beta ... nice guy ... these are all f*cking useless labels just like calling someone gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, etc ...

These "dating gurus" are giving you generalised information and in many cases are scamming money of you into believing their crap is legit and better than the next guru.

They all know that it's only YOU than can make yourself better ... they don't know YOU or YOUR personality ... just go out there take a risk in life before you start telling yourself it's "too late".

• No, it's their double standards I don't like.

That said I don't care what they do, as I find few things offensive in life.

• I would take Jenna Marbles light hearted joke advice over any serious dating guru that make men believe they should be near sexual predators for the sake of conquest.

• They're full of sh*t. All of them. All these supposed "guru's" who probably have little to no experience doing anything besides giving unsolicited advice that, chances are, they aren't experienced enough to give.

They all talk about, "being a certain way" and being that said way (i.e skinny, confident, carefree, a**hole, nice, to name a few of the popular ones) will help you find the life partner you want.

It's bullsh*t and we all know it, these people have no room to be called experts of any caliber. They are people trying to make a buck by talking over the internet. Get me Johnny Depp, or Brad Pitt, somebody who could POTENTIALLY be an expert more then these wannabe's.

• A dating guru is someone ho makes a living teaching dating skills. Jenamarbles sure isn't a guru or even an authority on the subject.

• They're women, what do they know about turning a boy into a man?

Don't let it depress you, they're just looking for attention to boost their self-esteem.

• Those "gurus" are highly amusing LOL! They're more like comedians.

• Dating anything depresses me. Romance movies, romantic comedies, online dating sites, all of it.