Do you think online dating is less "desperate" than it used to be?

First of all, I'm not a huge fan of it because I have tried it and never met anyone whom I really liked or had a relationship with and I've been catfished a few times where the person didn't look like their pictures.

But if you met someone on a dating site, would you still make up a story about how you both met? Or would it not phase you at all to tell the truth? Even to your buddies/girlfriends?

Do you think online dating is becoming more acceptable? When I had a profile, I would see a lot of hot guys and then I'd kinda wonder what's wrong with them lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Online dating sucks for a very simple reason.

Not only are you flat out shopping for a mate, but you can't actually talk to them. You meet someone in person, you can get their "rhythm," their mannerisms, if they talk as little or as much as you like in a mate, if they're actually your type, etc. There's none of that natural chemistry like when you are talking to a real person and you instantly like them after 10 minutes of conversation. Online? It's messaging. 60% of human communication is body language, 30% tone, and 10% is word choice. So you only get 10%...

• yeah. that's what makes it so difficult.

• Kills enthusiasm for it. I've been texting a cute brunette for a month, long enough that *she* is asking about meeting for a date. My enthusiasm is so low, that I've been texting her about every 4 days or so. Took me a day to finally bite the bullet after she asked to meet again (I suggested Friday evening, she said that worked for her), but now I'm changing my mind and plan to cancel if she texts again...

What Guys Said 6

• Almost anyone I know that is single has a profile at least. But as for how much they go around messaging people, that's a whole different story. But anyone who has tried it will tell you about a bad experience they had. Some people I know find others that are married on it, or someone trying to scam them for money, and so on. So basically it's a mess out there.

Friend's wedding I went to, married online.

Girl I know from elemenatry/middle school, married online.

People I've bumped into but may or may not be friends with, dating from online.

So in my area people are definitely using it. I've dated a plenty from it myself, but it's a total mess. Tons of flakes, players, and people who aren't single. Craigs is the worst. I've caught scammers trying to meet me and I'd manage to find out from Facebook that they're married or engaged.

• No, it hasn't changed, It's still full of people with fallse profiles, and a lot of pictures of movie stars.

And you still dohavfe to ask yourself: If they were as wonderful as they describe themselves, why 'nnek do they have to advertise for company on this dating site? Why don't people they meet in real life go for them?

• I meat my first long term girlfriend online. We were both in a chat room at night and started talking and then went privet. A few days later we meat again and started talking and figured out we lived only a half a mile away from each other. I told her I had to walk the dog and she said she wanted to go along. So we did. But I don't think anyone even asked that much where did we meat. But I always said online.

• It's equivalent to speed dating face to face, tagging along with a friend and his girlfriend who is bringing her friend, being fixed up with someone by someone you know, phone chat lines, or picking up a random girl somewhere because she's pretty. Are those desperate plays? Not really... They're just putting yourself out there stating you want to date. People just look at those sorts of things as desperate because they want to know the person first and feel like they are worth dating before they mention they want to date... The problem with that is that the people in your inner circle aren't always the most compatible people for you to date, so you need to reach out and look for some new options. If you don't take any risks, you get no where...

• "Catfished" ?! Funny that you say that, looking at your profile pic. :) I'm sure they all know and hence you are off the hooked of the catfish label :)

• Hot guys use online dating to look for girls to just have sex with 99% of the time.

What Girls Said 4

• I know we live in a technological age and everything, but I personally still view online dating as a desperate, last attempt at finding love. If I were to ever make a profile on an online dating website, it would have nothing to do with boredom or convenience, and everything to do with my biological clock ticking. I'd be super desperate.

If I ever did start dating a guy I met online, I don’t think I would feel comfortable telling people how we truly met. People judge. I can already hear my best friend’s reaction, which would probably go something like, “Oh my god, ew! He's probably a creeper!” It just wouldn't make for a cute "how we first met" story. I'd be kind of embarrassed.

Despite my somewhat negative personal opinion, online dating is definitely a lot more common and socially acceptable these days. I just don’t exactly think it's the best way to go, though, as people tend to lie about themselves.

• well I think people my age are kind of the first people to have grown up with computers. It's more natural for them to try online dating than it was to all previous generations.

I think it kinda a bad stigma because when online dating first came around, most adults were fairly new to computers and the internet. Social media wasn't a thing yet and the whole thing was just kind of weird, because human interaction was something that mostly happened in real life. That is no longer true. People then who tried online dating were usually old who couldn't find anyone in real life and saw it as last resort. That's no longer the case so much. Of course you'll have people looking for sex only, but overall I wouldn't be suspicious if someone whos a really good catch goes on there

• Online dating really works for people. Like me who are quiet in nature. Somehow its a bit easier to talk to another person online. I suppose because quiet singles stay to themselves. I'm more comfortable letting them know who I really am. Then after chatting awhile online. I'll get the nerve to meet them in a coffee shop or somewhere in public. I never meet them completely alone. Sometimes I'll have a friend call during the date. Just for the safety factor. If the dates going well then its all good. If not I have a nice excuse. To leave early. Without hurting the guys feelings. Online dating really works. If you really are trying to meet someone special. Just take your time getting to know someone. If your in a rush to meet someone. It might not be realistic. Just my thoughts on online dating.

• yes, I think it is