Girls, how many of you require that a man not live with his parents anymore for you to date him?

Is this a standard you require from a guy otherwise no deal?

Why or why not?

• Yes it is a requirement. I will not date a guy still living with his parents
  • I would prefer he not live with his parents, but its not a necessity
  • A guy living with his parents is NOT a factor for me whatsoever in dating guys
  • I'm a guy and want to see results
also would you please say whether you live with your parents or not?
Another thing, do you expect a guy to be living alone, or with roomies? or does that even matter to you?
So girls in your honest opinions, should a guy not even consider dating until he has moved out and established himself first?

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted B. Let me tell you why. I moved out of my parents' house when I was 17. I'm 21 now. I've been living with my older brother ever since. He's antisocial and doesn't want anyone coming over. That includes my ex, whom I dated for almost 2 years. He was living with his family. You know, the whole deal, parents and 3 sibblings in a suburban house. That SUCKED. If I was over at his house, I'd rarely spend the night. If I did, it was a big deal, I was a guest so his mom had to be ''in the mood'' to have me there. My ex had a single bed too. THAT sucked even worse. That means I'd sleep alone in his bed while he'd sleep downstairs on the couch. Intimacy much, yeah. Do you really think we'd have sex in his room when his parents and sibblings are sleeping next door? No, of course, so there was the basement. Comfort level over 9000... not. All of this setting wasn't ideal. Most couples I know have the opportunity to have sex AND sleep together every night if they want to. When a guy lives with his parents, it seldoms happens that the girlfriend can be over whenever, without caring whether or not the guy's folks will be there.

On the other hand, I have an apartment, so I'd get the burden most times to provide the intimate setting for you know... It'd have been easier if we could have been over every night we wanted without caring about bothering someone else. Being intimate in the middle of the day purposedly because the roommate isn't over at that moment isn't the most spontaneous or thrilling experience. So that's what I'm concerned about, mostly.

I'd hate to do that whole cycle again, being the guest every now and then and having to figure out the right time to have the guy over at my place, so not to bother my roommate. I want to be spontaneous and I want the place to be available at all times, that'd be the best, and I haven't had those benefits yet.

What Girls Said 25

• Well I still live with my dad so I feel like it would be kind of wrong me to refuse to date a guy just because he lives with his parents. It's kind of preferred that he doesn't, but it's certainly not a requirement.

It also somewhat depends on where he's at in his life and such... if he's lazy, just mooching off his parents, not working / not in school or doesn't seem to really have any plans for his life or anything, that's more of a turn-off.

• If he's not living at home, it doesn't matter to me if he's living with roommates or not.

• I chose B. It's OK for him to still live with his parents, who am I to judge?

But, if our relationship is getting serious he needs to be out of his parents house and on his own.

He needs to grow up.

+ if he's still living with his orients he's probably a momas boy. So one she's gonna do whatever she can to keep her baby and torture me. So I'm most definitely won't be there! So he'll get dumped

• No not necessarily, everyone deserves love even if they're not trying to make a life of there own.

And that's what were for to push them and pass on our enthusiasm, and help him to get out of his slump and make him something anything that he wants to be

• if a guy has finished university and has a job then its a necessity for me as I'm 23 next year and a guy would be in the same age range or older.

its not a money thing but more of a privacy thing and a howard wolowitz sorta thing

• howard wolowitz?

• do you expect a guy to be living alone, or with roomies? or does that even matter to you?

• its not a deal breaker if he lives with his parents as long as he is working to save up and move out, its the guys that live with their parents and play video games all day and sponge off them which is a deal breaker. if he is rooming with other guys/girls or alone its fine

• I wouldn't ind if he lives with his parents or not, if I'm gonna date the guy I'm just gonna enjoy my time with him. I lived with my dad for 15 years and then I decided to move in with my mom recently. I would imagine he would be living alone if not with his parents, but if he had a roommate it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• I would prefer he not live with his parents, but its not a necessity...I mean at the moment I live with my dad because I just finished University and am about to start an internship, its not ideal but I understand that these days we just need to save money.

• B. I'm 20 and still live at home, so I can't require a guy to live on his own. When I get to 22/23 I would strongly prefer he didn't as by that time I will be out of my parents house and done college. I picked B over C for practicality. If we both live at home it will be harder to find a private space to have sex as loud as we want.

• "So girls in your honest opinions, should a guy not even consider dating until he has moved out and established himself first?"

No!

Listen to me OP, generally if you like a person, things like that are a non-issue.

Girls would not pass up their 10/10 guy just because he lives with his parents or roomies.

Think about it.

• anon girl down there somewhere says I'm undatable. your thoughts?

• Does she sound like someone you'd like to date?

Who cares what she says. She's an anon troll hiding behind her PC screen.

This does not make you undatable whatsoever. Trust me.

• I suggest you stop stressing about this. Just chill ok? :)

But if you want to let this get to you, get between you and putting yourself out there ... and you're going to cry yourself to sleep over this... then yes maybe that makes you undatable.

And I mean this in the nicest way possible.

• I don't really care whether he lives with parents or not, though I'd prefer if he didn't. I'd like some privacy with him. But for now, I can't expect any guy to have his own place, because he'd still be too young. He could always come with me, to my dorm. Don't know if that counts as having your own place? But yeah, I don't have to live with my parents anymore. But if he were 30 or older and still living with his parents, then it would be a turn off. I'd assume something was wrong with him.

• B. I live very far away from my parents, and I would expect a guy older than 22 (my age limit) to not live with his parents anymore. However, if he has a good reason for living with his parents, I'd understand.

• what do you consider to be a 'good reason?'

• taking care of parents, difficult economy atm, in between jobs

• Do I require this? No.

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with me liking him, I don't care about his living situation at all.

I moved out at 18.

• depends...if he's living with his parents to help them out then I would still consider dating him...but if he's living with his parents because he's living off them and doesn't have a stable job then I wont...

• even if he's actively seeking a job? what if he's just run into hard times. it does happen in our economy

• if he's diligently looking for a job then I would consider :)

• C.

I don't care.

• I haven't lived with my parents since I turned 18.

• <3

Don't even waste your time with such women.

• Well some women aren't desperate and think about the future,

• I couldn't care less, I've dated guys who have lived at home, lived on their own and live with roommates. Makes no difference to me, I still live at home.

• I live alone so I would prefer a guy who also did and to be honest room-mates don't bother me but I don't want the whole parental interference in my relationships so it is a necessity

• I haven't lived with my parents since I was 15, and had my first place of my own at 18. Living with your parents is sad after a certain age with the exception of special circumstances.

• whats sad about it?

• how were you able to live on your own at 15?

• I didn't live on my own at 15, I lived with my sister and her boyfriend got me a job working with him and getting paid cash since it was an electricians helper job and I wasn't old enough to be bonded and insured. I started living on my own at 18, working 3 jobs at that time.

• I voted A

I don't date losers!

• you're a certified gold digger anyways. so no one cares

• But my uncle who lived with his parents ( who was 30 something back then) married this fat chick who had a kid and moved in with her so like I think you have a chance!

• How many of you men require women to be working for you to date her ;) ?

• at least 2 full time jobs and a part time job. also a plus but not a necessity is volunteer work

• C...I don't see why it should be a factor to consider. As long as he contribute to the household.

• i find it funny how FAR more men answered this question than women..you men must really care what we think of you.

• is it not natural to be curious what the opposite gender thinks of them?

• maybe for guys, but not me. I stopped caring what men think a long time ago. there's no way to please all of them because they all want different things.

• well yeah sure. but its still interesting

• hm...from your last update, I see a generalizing and misogyny bubbling slowly... Look at the polls again, most girls voted B. Of course, having your own place is always better. Woudln't you want a girl who doesn't live with her parents anymore? I mean, if she's 30 or 35 and have a job already?

• no mysogyny here at all. and sure I would

• honest to god I was not bitter when I wrote that. I want to know if that something guys should think about before they start dating

• all I'm saying is, if he's only temporarily living with his parents and is actually trying to get a job to get out of there and get his own place, then it's OK. But if we've been dating for some time and he still doesn't show signs of wanting to get out of his parent's house, he's not a good candidate for a husband or a serious relationship.

• With experience from my current boyfriend, it would be best if the guy were not to live with his parents. It has caused way too many problems including them judging me, being really rude to me and now not inviting me over for any holidays. My boyfriend and I currently are not living with our parents, we are living together and it's best that way. We can do what we want, can have the place as messy as we want if we're too tired to clean right away, can have loud sex, shower together, etc. No roommates. Basically by himself or in the process of moving out only because living with his family could cause problems (from my experience). And roommates could get annoying if you want "private time".

• you do realize how difficult it is to live on your own these days right? many do not have that luxury. one persons income is usually barely enough to get by these days

• That depends on your age. If you're 18, 19, whatever. If you're 30, 40, boy please.

• you live with your parents or not?

• I do not. Do you?

• thanks for judging

• I don't live at home so it would be better if he didn't live at home. Although if he is full time in school, I would make an exception.

• what about if he's in a rough patch money wise and trying to find a job?

• As long as he has the motivation

• No, it's not a requirement. I'm 20 and in college. I don't live with my parents, but they do help support me. I only work part-time, between classes. If my university was near them I'd live with them to save, but it isn't, and so I live with roommates. If a guy lives at home and he's not like 30, that's fine.

• No. Date when you want to date, just find someone who doesn't care if you don't have your own place atm.

• i would prefer someone who is independent and doesn't need to rely on their parents. but its not a deal breaker.

• do you live with your parents?

• and did you move in with a friend? a boyfriend? by yourself?

• with my twin sister but she's gone most of the time either with her boyfriend or her friends

What Guys Said 7

• As a guy who lives alone and dated a girl who lives with her parents I can see why a lot of girls don't want to date a guy who lives with his parents. This is gonna apply to people in their mid 20's and up. Lower 20's are probably still in school or something similar. So let's say... 25 and up.

First off, I'm gonna exclude renting situations. Those are typically handled in a more mature manner. Renting from the parents helps keep the money internally within the family and I think that's a nice idea instead of shelling it out to a greedy landlord. Plus, chances are the person is not bound to parental advisory rules. Also, situational issues like taking care of a sick parent I'm excluding also. I highly doubt a girl will have a problem with a guy caring about their mother. If she does, something's very wrong.

Now the main problem is that just living with the parents typically means the person has no freedom. I dated a girl who had to report where she was all the time and was stuck with all these dumb rules from her parents and it got annoying real fast. As an adult living on my own I don't want to deal with a buncha childish bullsh*t. She wasn't even allowed to spend the night at my place and even started resorting to lying about where she was and we'd have to come up with dumb stories that she'd tell her parents when she got home. I got tired of it and dumped her.

Also, guys who live at home with their parents also typically don't have jobs or jobs that give them enough freedom to do anything. So chances are the girl is gonna end up paying for everything.

• @updates just find someone who is living a similar lifestyle to you and go from there.

• Yes I live with my parents. Not still but again.

My mother is very sick and may die at any moment if she's not taken care of properly. And the condition is not going to get better.

My dad is busy taking care of my mother and stuff concerning her health.

Since my mother requires medication and services that are not covered under her insurance and my dad doesn't have any work right now I'm the only one who is able to pay their bills but unfortunately that means I have very little money left for myself. Thus I live at home again.

Does that count?

• good question since I'm 25, almost 26 and I still live with my parents but I am working 2 jobs, and I at least have a car, no college degree yet or certificate of some sort, this has been causing me some kind of stress and pressure lately in my mind, for a while I didn't know what I wanted to do and didn't take things seriously earlier, but I feel more serious now and better yet I feel I am closer than ever to discovering my purpose in life, as to what I want to do with my life in terms of a career

• I'm guessing this depends on age. Is the guy 19 and living with his parents, or 39 and living with his parents?

• this is a double standard I really hate

• interested in the C answers, I wonder what is the average age of the girls who voted that

• I think as long as you're a student or a young adult it's cool. Most girls don't consider it a deal breaker as long as you have plans to move out or have a dam good reason to be living at home. (helping parents out, full time student, parents sick, money problems, etc.)