How did you start dating your significant other?

I understand that this may not be a fair question because there are many contexts under which two people realize their romantic capacity with each other and GaG only allows 5 answers, so if yours isn't listed, or if you haven't been in one, post in the comments!

Note that this is not about how you met each other, but rather, how you started associating with your partner in a romantic capacity.

If you're single, then this is about your most recent relationship.

• One of us asked out the other with no prior knowledge (like someone asking out their crush)
  • We met online.
  • A blind date, someone set us up.
  • A long "banter" over one or more social gatherings where both of you were present, and it all came together.
  • One of us was introduced to the other through a friend, and it went from there.

Most Helpful Girl

• We met at my first kickboxing lesson. He was the instructor (even though he's younger than me!) and we both caught each others' eye. We started talking more when I was walking home alone in the dark, he came up to me and said that he'd walk me home as he doesn't like it when girls walked home alone. We chatted non stop all the way home. Then for a few weeks, he walked me home every time from kickboxing, he even stopped bringing his bike because it was kind of expected. Then he randomly invited me for a walk on a non kickboxing day (as friends) and after that walk, that's when he thought that he wanted more (he didn't want to date me because I was a student and it was kind of forbidden). We hung out together every day and then I kissed him first when I was over his. Then we soon became a couple. :3 That was 7 months ago and we're still going strong. Our love for each other is growing stronger each day! He's my soulmate.

What Girls Said 16

• The only boyfriends I've had I met online.

• We met online, met in person after talking for about two weeks, and we've been together for almost 7 months now.

• B & E.

A friend that I met online 3 years prior (but never met in person) told his one friend to add me on Facebook. That friend and I started dating.

• I'm no longer with him but we met online.

• We met at college became best friends went to a party together kissed and now 16 months later I'm happier than ever <3

• We met at work. He used to work where I work a long time ago, and he just kind of started talking to me one day because he found me attractive. And then we started dating. Been together like a year and half.

• We met on omegle

• OKCupid.com

• I met him at work and we got in contact after I left the job.

• Locked eyes in the bar and the rest is history. I was out with a friend and his sister when we walked in I saw HIM from across the bar. It was a rather steamy look and I mentioned to the sister "ooo look at him, he is HOT". Turns out my friend NEW him already and went over to say hello. My guy told my friend, "Introduce me to your friend or I'll take your sister home tonight" (joking obviously)

So, he introduced us and we hung out all night and the next morning I asked him if he wanted my number and he said yes. 2 months later we were BF/GF, 8 months after that we were engaged, now we've been together for 2.5 years and are getting married next September. On our very first date I told him I wasn't interested in a BF, just wanted to date and meet people. I could see the disapointment in his face, but, I never went out on a date with another man. He pursued me like crazy and I fell for him, best decision of my life, he's wonderful! :)

• We met in grade 11 in a class we had together. A friend told me there was a hot guy in her class so she pointed him out. I found out he was in one of my classes. I started developing a huge crush on him and ask him to the movies which we went there a few times. I thought it was a date but when I asked him he said "friendly date". I found out he had a girlfriend who was across the country. At one point he told me they broke up and a week later I told him that I liked him. Closer to June of 2011, since things weren't going anywhere, I wanted to be with him but was also wanting to have fun so I asked him to be friends with benefits. He said yes so we started having sex in July of 2011. We started doing more "couple" things like cuddling after sex, making food for each other, etc so it turned into a relationship. About a year later he moved in with my parents and I and then one year after that we now have our own place and are living together. Crazy story when I think about it.

• Last guy was A current guy is D.

• I asked him out

• met him at a party

• I met a good match so I thought online big mistake he was a nutcase.

• We saw each other regularly in a group context for like a month and a half so we got to know each other a bit by talking and joking with one another and it was eventually pretty clear we both liked each other so we went on a date and that was that.

What Guys Said 8

• (I voted D, because it was the closest one out of the options listed.)

When I was dating somebody else, she was my girlfriend's best friend. Well, my girlfriend cheated on me a bunch of time, so I left her.

The best friend of my ex, and I both stayed friends. Eventually becoming really close friends, and even best friends over the span of a year. During that same year, I was dating around a lot. I mean a lot. But I did fall for my best friend by the end of it. I worked up the nerve to ask her out, and she shot me down, so I dated around some more for the next couple months. Eventually she came back to my place, and told me she had feelings for me.

We started dating immediately and we've been dating for over six years and counting. It's been a little slice of perfect the whole time.

• By the way, I want to say that I find it funny how often just about anybody on this site will likely tell you that only losers do any online dating, and yet, that seems to be the #1 answer. Maybe it's time people rethink their views just a bit.

• Such a cute story!

And I agree with your comment!

• Thanks, Ninja!

• Significant other? That would be jumping the gun, but I met the girl I liked through a club gathering - we met often over the same interests. I don't know if she tried to ask me out before, but it took me long enough to decide that I was happy being with her and decided to ask her out for more stuff outside of club activities.

At some point, we started going out in a romantic way, instead of just club activities.

• Well, my ex is afraid I will her so she cheats on me and I dump her. she wants me back so she hooks me up with her coworker expecting I will dump the coworker and come running back. except the coworker is more attractive, not 50lbs overweight and slightly more sane. and that's how I met my last ex.

Some months later I get dumped and the ex thinks I will come back to her which I don't so she starts cutting her forearm and sending me pictures. I have her committed to a hospital then I move and change my phone number. she still sends me emails asking when are we getting back together and where did we go wrong?

• Of all places... Omegle. Been together for 3 years, 8 months.

• After 2 years of being hard core friend zoned I emerged triumphant.

• We went away together for a business event.

We stayed in the same hotel, but kind of used to sneak into each others' rooms at night when all the participants were asleep lol...

• i kidnapped her. good ol stockholm syndrome

• We meet on POF and decided to meet up in person one day. A mont later it's been pretty good.