Why do people get surprised when I tell them I haven't dated?

every time a guy or girl asks me if I have had a boyfriend, I tell them no and they are shocked, why?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because we live in a fast-paced society that expects people to progress in things like relationships way faster than people should be. Don't worry about them. They'll all just be falling on their faces as they unsuccessfully attempt relationships at an age where they are immaturely unprepared, while you are smart and go at your own pace verse the pace society tells you to move at and will be much more prepared and matured hopefully by the time you get around to dating and will be more more successful with much less heart ache, it'll be much more worth it! You are smart, keep doing what you are doing!

What Guys Said 18

• people just assume that people do everything they have done. or they assume that by certain age you have accomplished this and that. but they are always if not usually wrong. I'm 26 and still haven't been on a date. I think you are going to be fine

• haha agreed, and I bet you will find the right girl, everything at it's own time

• I'm on the same boat as you... only I'm 22 years old. People are usually surprised that you haven't dated if you're not butt ugly and a genuinely cool/nice person (like me). I get told all the time that I'm attractive, I have a nice voice, sexy lips, etc etc but people are shocked that I have yet to even date a girl or have a kiss.

• haha yeah that makes people wonder

• Usually in the case of girls though, it's by choice. Generally speaking, guys are far less picky than girls so I'll see a lot of very ugly/ bad personality girls who always have a boyfriend. I typically just don't know how to escape the friend zone. Girls like me but never in that way.

• Obviously you're carrying around some date worthy traits. You really can't spell it out any simpler than that.

• i think its because these days it seems even younger teens 13 or 14 are dating more and more.. I wouldn't be shocked I didn't really start dating till I was 18 or 19.. .. ... it is allso a part of there upbringing maybe they had a lot of opportunity for dating :)

• yeah it's crazy how 6th graders or below are already dating, when they don't even have the maturity to understand the foundation of a real relationship

• You are probably a pretty girl... If you tell them you have never dated then that is always surprising because women are usually such sluts they lose their virginity by the time of 14-16 and sleep around with over 60 men before turning 25... So have never dated, ever, as a woman is always surprising given this.

• I do hope so, and yeah society advertises sex as a good thing and it takes away girl's morality and value

• Because they think you should be like the rest of the population out of control with your pants. They probably will tell you next to go talk to a Psychologist. I get this all the time if I talk to people. The solution is simple: Don't talk to people.

• haha that's funny, I agree society wants people to be a certain way

• I'd be a little surpized too, especially if your good looking. Most people start dating around the age of 15 here so at 17 most people have at least had one date.

• You are probably look better than your avarage so that's why they think you had or have one.

Because they think you'uld have one but it's obvious that you don't need one.

• I've been single for over 10 years so don't feel like you're the only one that has people being shock about your lifestyle.

• well I'm a minor in the first place lol so I'm including since I've been born. I just haven't found the right guy or every time a guy has asked me I've felt like they were doing a bet or something, like if they were playing with my feelings

• Do you plan to stay single in the near future?

• oh my gawdd!.. you haven't had a boyfriend? haha

• haha funny, and no I haven't - just haven't found the right person

• because you're cute and they're surprised.

• Weird.

It's probably just because the majority of teens do date these days. Not dating is slightly outside the norm. Not a bad thing though. The norm isn't always great.

Let them be shocked. Just be happy with your decisions. Ha, I know I didn't date anyone until I was 20. I think a few people thought it was weird that that was the first time I'd ever dated anyone, but (even though we aren't going out anymore) I think it was worth the wait.

• I don't that's shocking. Provided you are just still a kid.

• Probably because your attractive and figured you would have a lot of guys interested in you

• Perhaps because you're particularly attractive and you have other things going for you so people would think that plenty of guys would be interested and you'd like one of them so you'd probably either have a boyfriend or would have had one in the past.

• i've been told this, but its strange for people to assume without knowing

• Thanks, I am also sorry to hear about it and experience it, but I guess I have to work on it in order to believe

• Indeed. What don't you believe, though? If guys think you're hot and constantly stare, why would you think you're unattractive?

• U Are a girl so you have higher value than men , us guys , especially me being ugly , have no value so that's why women refuse to talk to me

• aww don't put yourself down :( we are all equal,no one is better than anyone. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, first you have to love yourself so others can love you

• well your right, but what if you are the one putting yourself down.

• Well that's really up to your judgment of what I look like

• You may be a pretty girl and they are surprised when they find out you have not dated. Don't let it bother you.

• I think most people just assume you have had dated if you look good

• I guess, lol one guy was like I bet you've made out with a guy- I'm like *awk* my lips are virgins

• Lol that's cute

• haha I guess, I just find it funny

What Girls Said 2

• Because it seems like everyone at your age has had at least some type of experience.

When they hear otherwise, naturally they are shocked.

And you seem like the outgoing type so they wouldn't expect it.

• Couldn't agree more. Not much left to add here.

• Your right! Thanks and I'm not really outgoing with strangers only people I know

• I have the same issue. I just assume it's because your pretty and attractive.

Guys like attractive girls so it only makes since to assume that you have or had a bf.

+ If you look older than you really are that's a bonus