What are your thoughts on a texting row in movies theaters?

They are putting texting rows in movie theaters now. Personally if its an emergency then texting is acceptable. Though honestly. I really do think an hour and a half to three hours without texting during a movie is fine. They do have dine in theaters. So why not have text in theaters. That way everyone who wants to text and those who don't can go to another theater. How about a texting room enclosed like a crying room with protected glass. To block the lights from the lighted up screens. What's your take and solution to this question? Thanks for sharing.

• I love the idea of a texting row.
  • I don't like the idea of a texting row.

Most Helpful Guy

• So long as the texting row is going to ONLY be at the back seats of the theatres, then fine. Any closer to the screen and I absolutely object. Though personally I think the fact that people are so fucking stupid, and so fucking dependent, and so fucking obsessed on their fucking stupid fucking phones that they can't put them down even during a movie they paid 15 fucking dollars to see is utterly ridiculous.

Even more fucking ridiculous that these fucking twits are so stuck on their fucking phones that they actually feel the fucking NEED to demand a fucking texting row to accommodate them. Why don't we just give them their own theatre? One per town. Make a chain of it. Maybe I should do that. I'll call it "Flicker's Text-a-plex for douche bags"! That sound like a good idea?

But really, I don't like the idea of a texting row. I voted D. I don't like it because I feel it just reinforces, and even rewards people's increasingly bad behavior . Idiocracy. I much prefer what that one theatre I heard about does. The one that bans you for texting. If possible I would prefer it if they put up a cell jammer in every cinema. I've even toyed with buying a portable one of my own. Seriously, you have no idea the level of hate I have for movie texters. I've taken people's phones, in the past.

To any movie texter reading this. Kindly get fucked unless you can explain to me with a complete answer, that can't be countered with simple logic, why you can't just put the motherfucking away for a couple hours of your life. Explain to me why you would drive out, and pay so much money for a movie you're not even fucking watching anyway. Explain it to me. Actually don't bother, I know you can't. Just get fucked.

What Guys Said 13

• It's preferable to letting text addicts disturb people who actually came to see the movie.

I can't fathom why you'd want to text during a movie. You lose the flow and continuity and all the build-up the movie is trying to communicate. Not to mention, the story line!

Wouldn't''t it be better to stay home where you could put the movie on pause?

Texting has replaced necking as a distraction in theaters.!

But given that people are going to do it regardless, you should put them in their own row so as not to interrupt the rest of us.

• christ on a stick! are people that self absorbed that they can't go two hours without texting now. devo had it right all those years ago about humans and devolution.

• thankfully at least people are picking option b. yay for humanity.

• A texting row should be at the back of the seating area if one did exist.

But FEASIBLY one would never work. People don't turn up to the cinema with the intention to text, and so people wouldn't book seats on the texting row. Also if they came with their friends, they wouldn't sit on the texting row, they would sit with their friends. And when you ordered the tickets online in advance, you would have no idea whether you would want to text in the cinema.

When I text in the cinema it is only the occasional emergency text (eg to say that I am running late, or I forgot to let the cat out)

• I f***ing hate when people pull out their phones in movie theatres! go outside to talk and text and slobber over your dumb Facebook and twitter bullsh*t. not the time or place. sometimes I wish I was electronically smart so that I could make some kind of cell phone EMP so the cell phones wouldn't work. honestly I think it would be funny to put people under a dome and put and activate an electro magnetic pulse and see what happens. I bet some people would go nuts, oh no my life turned off

• My thought is you put the f***ing phone down for a couple of hours.

• Simple - just give everyone headphones like on an airplane, or at least a jack so they can use their own.

• Headphones? How does that help the glaring, undimmed, flashing light of text screens?

• While genius it is not financially feasible. :( The rows in the back are good enough for that SCUM!

• They already have that invention, it's called the back row. Just don't text during a romantic movie and disturb other people making out :D

• the back left and right corners sound like the optimal locations.

• Ugh, I hate movie texters. I stopped going to the movies because of those a**holes. The last time was The Dark Knight Rises, and before that was Twilight. Both times I had to say something to get those idiots to put them away.

• I think by putting these texting rows in, they're only encouraging texting to happen there. It's not feasible money wise to build all these extra accomodations for people that can't simply keep their phone in their pockets. You're there to watch a movie, not to talk to everyone in the world outside of the movie theater.

• you should switch your mob to silent if not off

• The idiots who feel the urge to text at a theater should just stay home & watch Bugs Bunny. That's if they can actually understand Bugs Bunny.

My thoughts are, it's pathetic & so are the people who text...period.

What Girls Said 9

• "How about a texting room enclosed like a crying room with protected glass."

YES! If you text, cry, scream, talk at the screen/general peanut gallery behavior s - you go to a cone of silence. Like this:

link

• Excellent link. Love it. So true. Very wise seating arrangements!

• I love the link. I don't know about the "older people are always quiet" thing, though... I sat next to an older man who had two shopping bags full of junk (and food, I assume) that he rustled through and messed with the entire movie. Not to mention the constant shuffle of candy being poured from a small cardboard container, and loud chewing. That definitely does not count as "quiet."

• "if its an emergency then texting is acceptable"... if it is an emergency, you shouldn't still be in the theater.

I am not a supporter of this idea. I pay up to 15 dollars for a movie, not including refreshments, and I expect to sit in the theater in silence to enjoy the outing. It is very inconsiderate for others to text during a film. There are simply some settings that should go without the blaring light of phone. If your head is going to be focused on it throughout the entire movie, why would you even come? That goes for having full discussions, too... this is not your living room, you do not have the prerogative to loudly converse.

Then, of course, there comes the issue of a greater chance of the film being recorded. If texting is suddenly smiled upon, and is taken up by great masses, it will introduce a new heightened problem of not being able to identify a taping from the crowd of text screens.

• No. Even if you're in front of the texting rows, it will effect the lighting in the rooms. And even if it wasn't, is our culture so focused on instant gratification that they'd 1) spend a lot of money on a movie ticket just to not pay attention to the movie and 2) not be able to watch an entire damn movie without texting or playing on their phone?

Like dang, if there's an emergency just go outside and make a phone call. And if it's just conversational, your dang conversation doesn't belong in the theater in the first place.

• I don't think it should be allowed. If you're going to watch a movie then that's what you should be doing, after all you paid to watch a film and want to enjoy yourself. You need to respect the people who are there. I don't like the glare from somebody's bleeping mobile , I find it annoying.

• If you're gonna be texting then what's the purpose to go to the movie theater any way.

• I don't like it, I'm there to watch the movie not listen to peoples pones go off every 5 seconds!

• it would probably be too much of a distraction for me. With all those miniature lights, and snickering and button tapping.

• I just think theaters should have a button at each seat that someone can press to call an usher if someone is being obnoxious, so if there's someone who can't be respectful of the people around them by not talking, texting, etc. the person being bothered doesn't have to interrupt their viewing experience to go complain to an usher or manager. If someone doesn't stop whatever annoying behavior they were doing after a warning, they should be kicked out of the theater with no refund. If you get kicked out a certain number of times, you should be banned from the theater.

• I think it's crazy that people can't go 2 hours without texting, haha!

When I go to see a movie, I go to watch the movie. I don't pay $10 to miss moments and piss off the other patrons, haha!

People should go to the movies to WATCH THE MOVIE. Maybe I'm a traditionalist there but come on, haha!