Would you date a college dropout?

Let's say the person is overall attractive, inside and out, to you. But they dropped out of college.

They are very intelligent and can have intellectually as well as emotionally deep conversations; but they just suck at conventional academic standards. They work (they're not a bum) and have ambitions for the future.

Would this be a deal breaker?

• College dropout is an instant deal breaker
  • College dropout is a big turnoff, but can be forgiven in some circumstances
  • College dropout, doesn't matter either way to you
  • College dropout is preferred

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted B even though I don't think it's a "big turnoff", I just think it's a shame for an intelligent person to give up on education that would fit their intelligence much better than a high school degree... But I would date them if they fit the description above. In fact, my boyfriend is a college dropout, he is hard working and has ambitious plans for his future, so I don't mind it at all. I respect such men more than lazy unambitious guys with a masters degree who leech of their parents' money.

What Girls Said 12

• No, as long as his reason makes sense like he wants to try other options or something. I know a few who are great people - smart, caring, fun to be around - just didn't like all the structure of college. I've thought about leaving for the same reason! But I think the great thing about the present is that a woman has (almost) as much opportunity as a man to be successful and therefore doesn't have to dismiss a guy just because he dropped out of school and may make less money. Now we can get together for love. Aww, mushy haha.

• It would be a deal breaker for me. I'm currently at the university, and while I enjoy talking to anyone who can have a deep, intelligent conversation, it's just not the same if they don't have the knowledge about the same stuff you do. I quite enjoy talking to my crush, because we can discuss anything from chemistry and parasites to politics and cooking. There's something about our conversations that comes from years of higher education. And while I still love my uneducated but intelligent friends just as much, I don't think I could ever date someone who dropped out of college. Also, I think that sticking to college even when you "suck at conventional academic standards" shows that you're determined and you're a person that sticks to your decisions (going to college) and you're willing to fight to reach your goals. And I really want to date someone who is both intelligent and determined to reach his goals. But I'm sure that there's plenty of girls who would date you, so good luck! x

• im well capable of having discussions on a variety of academic topics such as the ones you listed, because I'm naturally an avid reader. but the second part is totally understandable.

• Sure, why not?

I'm in college, and it wouldn't bother me, as long as the guy wasn't moping around, doing nothing.

• A guy with a college education is attractive, but not completely necessary. As long as he's being productive and moving forward in some way, rather than backward, it's usually not that alarming.

• It doesn't matter to me... I don't even wanna go to collage

But, I could see why some people wouldn't. If it becomes serious you always want to be financially stable.

• No

It would simply mean we prioritize differently and have different life goals.

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are one in a million.

• yeah, a college dropout is definitely no steve jobs or bill gates. I guess a person has to prove their merit, degree or not. a degree can take the edge off a little bit when it comes to finding a job and it opens up some career opportunities, but it does not escape the fact that the economy is tough and competitive, degree or not

• Definitely

And at least it's trying. The days of just starting up a business without a degree are kinda over. It rarely happens and that rarity isn't something I'm willing to risk for

• Possibly if they are working at least.

• I voted D. It might sound silly, but student loan debt can be huge, so if my bf were smart enough to avoid it, that would be really attractive to me.

• yes I would date him as long as we can click

• I would only date a college dropout if he is successful or has a good paying job. I wouldn't want to date a lazy college dropout.

• alot of successful entrepreneurs or people in life are drop outs of high school, colleges and universities.

yes

• Well we wouldn't be on the same page but as long as he's motivated and has a career, sure.

What Guys Said 4

• Intelligent?

Check

Work?

Check

Ambitions for the future?

Check.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I honestly wouldn't have any problems dating someone like this. College isn't for everyone, and it's not something that I put on a pedestal like so many others. As long as they've got a head on their shoulders, have goals for their lives, and are actively working towards reaching those goals, I don't see it as a big deal at all.

• Hey, Steve Jobs was a dropout. I wouldn't hold this against them even for a second.

These days, the job market is so chaotic, with rapid technological change, that college isn't the best option, especially if you're a techie.

• Yes. They have no actual drive. What's the point in working if you're not doing anything meaningful for society? Sure they may have a quick factory job, or something, but they definitely aren't working away from the inflation line as things are going. To make matters worse why didn't they finish? Intelligence means nothing without application so the fact that they know a few big words doesn't impress me. I know a few big words myself but that wouldn't change the reality of the fact that I am on ( essentially ) a children-in-adult-skins website!

If they were so worthy of dropping out and pressing on they best not be asking on a website like this and best be havin' something more serious than blind ambition to back themselves up. The whole "I have dreams" bit makes no sense; they enrolled AND quit of their own volition so that they could work some lame and probably menial job either for a friend doing something everyone else can do or for a well-known but completely overlookable establishment like a department store.

Need. More. At. Table.

• Most women want a good looking guy. As they get older, women value money and intelligence more.