Why can't I help myself from liking him?

So I think I have feelings for one of my guy friends and as much as I keep trying to tell myself that I only like him as a friend, I can't help my mind from thinking about him. I can't say why I like him as much as I do, but I **really** like him. The thing is, I swore off on dating since my last disastrous relationship. My ex totally used me and treated me like sh*t after we broke up. It's been 5 months since my break up. This guy that I can't help but like is nothing like my ex, and looks nothing like anyone I've dated before. I'm not prissy about who I date, but I do have a rough outline of standards, and he blows those standards to pieces. I don't mean to sound mean, but to be honest he looks nothing like the "type" I usually date. I know he's homophobic and has some right winger political opinions, and as a friend I could live with that, but I don't know if I'd okay with being with someone with those views. That is the only turn off/flaw that I can find in him, and I can't help myself for falling for him. Consciously I don't want to feel such strong feelings for him, but I can't help it. What do I do? He doesn't help the problem because he's such a god damn flirt and is too freaking nice to me! I know for a fact that he's into me too because he's told me, and everyone else in the world too. Why can't I control how I feel about him? Why are my emotions contradicting my conscious opinions? How do I stop liking him this way?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because your opinions aren't real. You're using them to justify not giving him a chance even though you should. You're just afraid to give him a chance since you're still hurting from your last relationship. And you never know how a relationship with him will turn out because every guy is different, and you shouldn't punish him for the actions of another. It's illogical.

What Guys Said 1

• just do it !

What Girls Said 1

• You can't stop liking him! Trust me I've tried. Find out how HE FEELS and if the same, then let it out to him.. I think it's best if you two are close.

• We are really close. That's the thing. I know that dating him may mess things up between us and I don't want that.