Have you ever had to lie to your parents about dating?

Culture-wise, specifically. Do you come from a strict culture where dating is either not ALLOWED, or dating someone OUT of your culture is not accepted.. and therefore you have had to lie to your parents about dating someone overall? If so, how did you do it? How did you spend time with this person? Did it bother your partner?What is your opinion on this?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes because I have to.It happened few years ago.My culture is very strict in interracial dating.My parents expect me to bring back an Indian guy home but I live in East Malaysia where there aren't many Indians.I am surrounded by mostly Malay and Chinese so I tend to date them.There were few times during my dates when my brother and mum asked me who was waiting for me inside the car outside my house and I said he was an Indian guy.I think they kind of knew that I lied though because its very rare to find Indians here.I didn't bother to know if they know I was lying.As far as I did that,now I began to realize that It made me as a bad person.I don't want to do that any more because I feel bad for the guy.He will get offended if he knows that I was lying and hiding him just because of his race.

What Guys Said 1

• My ex girlfriend did she was middle eastern and she was a soccer player and really westernized and did act like her family who was really strict and since I'm black her parents hated me because they thought all I wanted to do was have sex with her and where she's from you can't till your married but her parents didn't know we were aldready having casual sex anyways either way that's the only reason I was dating her.

• Oh woww! How did her parents find out about you?

• If that's you in the picture, he's not hunting anyone down, lol

• Its me but it was like 5 years ago lol and I didn't look like this

What Girls Said 6

• All the time when I was younger, lol.

My parents were strict and didn't want me to date until I was 18...YEAH RIGHT. I was really popular in HS and liked to go out and party/date a lot, so I would have them drop me/friends off at the movies and we would all say we were sleeping at one of our houses and then have our guys pick us up, haha.

• No, because I wasn't able to hide it anyway. The guys I've dated always came by to pick me up, and it would be to troublesome to hide something like that from them.

My parents just became more accepting of it as time went by.

Although, they would try REALLY hard to get me with an Asian man, but it wasn't going to happen.

• I didn't tell them as I was very young then , they would get worried if they know I was seeing someone. my parents are conservative but they never impose rules that I couldn't date anyone out of my race. even if they oppose to it, I wouldn't be too bothered, as long as I like the guy, the only reason they can reject him is personality ; race and religion should not be consideration factors.

• Why would I?If my mom didn't like them and I still chose to see to see them then it is my choice.

• Yeah. When I was 7th or 8th I dated a senior in high school. Didn't realize it at the time, but there was a good reason they didn't approve. That was gross. I don't think they would ask me not to date someone just because they weren't "their type". I'm the one dating the guy. They just want me to be safe and smart. But when I was hiding relationships I didn't feel too much guilt, although it was there, just not enough to stop. But the other guys never seemed to give half a crap until my dad called their mom (or in one case the police). But I'm sure the situation you're thinking about is much different.

• yes but it wasn't a serious thing like we weren't exclusive so they never found out about him.