Is it Chinese culture for men to always pay for the woman no matter how expensive the date is?

my friend is going out with a Chinese girl who never offers to pay the bill, and she says it is because in her native China, men are expected to be generous. Is that really true? Or is he being taken advantage of? He asked me because his girlfriend recently yolks him that she wants to go to Disneyland (200dollar day), but expects him to pay the entire price of 2 tickets.

so should he speak up and tell her how he feels?
PLEASE TELL ME IF HE IS RIGHT TO demand she pay for some of the Disneyland tickets.
is it wrong for him to ask her to pay sometimes?

Most Helpful Guy

• i have been in china 10 years and I have even had girls ask me out for my birth day and I still pay for the party of my own birth day. so

for me I happy to pay for a girl I just meet the first time if we are just friends not lovers I will say take it in turns, but if she is my lover eg girlfriend I will pay most the time. and there is nothing stoping you from telling a lie you had no money as they all lie here. but if she ask me to pay for a trip she want to do and I don't want to do, then I would say to her she need to think again as I am not dating her to be her bank boy.

What Guys Said 3

• Yes its normal.Not only for Chinese but also for almost all Asians.Men expected to pay everything.I live in Singapore and I see this often.Whenever women offer to pay on the cashier or store people will give the men a weird look its like he is committing a crime for letting his girlfriend to pay lol.

• is he wrong to ask her to pay sometimes?

• Uuuuhhh, isn't this Chinese girl in America?

She should be told to get acquainted with the culture - especially if she wants to live there

• Yes, that is normal, I have a lot of Chinese friends I met from University so they're as Chinese as you can get, they say that they wouldn't date a man unless he had a lot of money, I thought that it must be only them... but then I figured out that it is part of normal tradition. They say, if you go to China and women are aware that you have money, they will be all over you completely

• many westerners try to subscribe their western culture to China... assuming that the whole world thinks the same as them, it doesn't work like that. The Gold digger stereotype isn't seen as a negative whatsoever over there it is normal

• if she's an American Chinese girl then she's probably like anyone else though

What Girls Said 3

• The disneyland thing okay that's a bit ridiculous to expect him to pay for her too. But the dinner thing, well it's true that in many countries having the woman pay even for just her own portion would be extremely emasculating and is just not done. He chose to date her so...

• No I think this girl, he is going out with is just a gold digger in general.

• That's not a Chinese thing...

In America it's kind of expected that the guy or whoever asks the other person out (usually the guy), pays.

The Disneyland thing sounds like he's being played.

I'm sure guys on here will defend her actions though lmao

• so should he speak up and say how he feels to her?

• if he does, is it seen as being cheap or stingy?

• No. If she wants to go to Disneyland then she should take her tourist ass over there and pay for herself