How long should you wait before telling your parents about your boyfriend while in high school?

So since we've started dating, I've been trying to hang out with my boyfriend as often as possible. This can be pretty hard when your parents don't know about him. We've only been dating for a week, but I want to know when is the right time to tell them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably not now, why don't you wait till you've been dating for at least 3 months? Why not bring him to the house for study and tell your parents that you are study buddies. That way they get to know him and then couple months later, tell your folks you started dating him because you've known him for a while and that you guys started off as friends, helping each other study, it would look good

What Guys Said 3

• Depends a lot on the environment they give you to say something like this to them. The 2 girls who have answered already have it right. Sooner is better only for the sake of trust, but if they've already laid down law on this matter, you have to address (and attempt to dissuade them from) the rules before you can address you having broken them.

• Right away. Finding a special someone is good news. Just be prepared for the obligatory awkward discussions about sex, STDs, pregnancy, morals, personal safety self control, condoms and self image. The last two are the most important.

• Depends on the parents. Not an easy question to answer.

I've seen people who waited a few years, and I've seen parents who just really didn't care and meet the first week.

What Girls Said 2

• The sooner the better. If you want your parents to trust both you and your boyfriend you should tell them soon, so they don't think you are keeping him a secret this could lead to them thinking he is something you have to hide, because he is bad influnce or something. I have a policy to never lie to my parents. But hen again my parent s are pretty cool with these kind of things.

• It really depends upon your relationship with your parents. You have to make the judgement. Have they said...no boyfriend until 21? Or have they said having a boyfriend will happen and it is great, let us meet him...

Parents are very perceptive too...they will see your big smile, extra care with hair...and guess there is a gorgeous bf.

My parents were very open about everything and so pleased for me when I told them...after about a week. Mom just said she had been waiting for me to say something...she knew already. Then so nice to have their help, support and even the bit of teasing.

I would say tell them soon...and enjoy that gorgeous guy! Let us know how it goes...