How much do you tell your parents about your relationships/dating life?

Sometimes when I have conversations about this with my dad it can get awkward. I have friends who hardly tell their parents anything, and then I know some people who tell their parent(s) almost every detail.

• Everything/ Most things
  • Something average, a little info here and there
  • Not much/Hardly anything
  • Never had a relationship

Most Helpful Girl

• B. I tell my parents who I'm dating, what kind of person he is, what conversation we had the other day (if it's amusing), etc. My parents are good listeners/advisers and they're cool about it. But I never tell them we do/did in terms of physical activities. That's just awkward.

What Guys Said 8

• Nothing, it's too weird.

• I don't tell them anything about such things. They are my business and not theirs. Also one of the reasons I'll never bring a girl I'm dating home either.

• Do you ever feel curious to meet your girlfriend's parents?

• Not really, no. If she wants me to meet them, then I'll meet them, but I don't really care otherwise.

• As little as possible. Obviously things come up from time to time unavoidably, but I don't freely offer information.

• I have nothing to tell and they know it. never been on a date so nothing to say

• Nothing. Never did. (Obviously) never will.

• Did they never ask questions or get curious?

• No, because the thought of me dating another human being and spiraling them into a miserable existence was far too frightening to investigate. Especially since it was an eventuality.

• I give them there name what city there from what they do for a living and where we might be that's all they need to know.

• When I was younger I didn't tell my parents very much if anything about my dating life. As I have gotten older I have started tapping into the life experience that is there. But I typically only do this for ideas when I am planning something nice for the girl, when something doesn't seem right to me and I need advice, or if I think I messed up and trust my my mom will set me straight right quick.

• Nothing, keep it secret

What Girls Said 9

• Well, I've never been in a relationship but I'm wiling to tell my dad most things about my love life. My mom died when I was 12, so I never really had anyone else to talk to about that kind of stuff. I mean, it can be awkward- I'd never talk about sex- but I'm not going to hide guys from my dad.

• I know exactly how you feel, my mother died when I was young too... it was awkward enough him having to explain the sexual side of love.

• Yeah... my dad never really did that. He would always tell me that "boys only want one thing" and I never wanted that awkward conversation so I always replied with, "Candy?"

He dropped me off for college and he finished this by saying, "I don't know what they're calling it these days but sure."

• I voted B. I tell my parents what I think they need to know. I told them basic things about my fiance in the beginning, then told them we moved in together, then told them we got engaged. Of course they have met him and they love him. But they don't need to know much more than that.

• The basics of who they are, how it's going, etc., if they ask or it comes up.

• I tell my mom if I'm dating anyone, not much else, but she always tries to sneakily get things from me, it's hilarious actually, she ask all those questions like she doesn't have an ulterior motive, so I always play dumb like I don't know what she's talking about. My dad on the other hand, I think he prefers to be delusional and think that his girls aren't dating or having sex, but I know that he will eventually ask my mom about it.

• Your relationship is yours to decide. If you are now friends and close then tell what you feel is comfortable. I am friends with my mom and have in depth conversations about her life and mine. Discussing sex with your dad may be a little more than you want to deal with but ultimately it's your decision. Being friends with your parents after you are an adult is a good thing and a great source for info, advice and support.

• B for sure, there is no need to tell your parents everything.

• I've never had a relationship, but even when I have a crush on a boy at school, I never tell them. Now that I live far away from them, I guess if I'm ever to get into a relationship with a guy, I would tell them after some time, but only let them know what he does and where he's from and show them his picture. Nothing more. I can understand that they would be worried about their only daughter who lived oceans away getting into trouble with a bad man, so I will give them those infos.

• Little to none.

• NOTHING. I don't talk to either of my parents about relationships at all because I've never brought anyone home to them. And to be honest, I would never ask them anything because they have not shown me an example of a good relationship. It may sound heartless but they do not have a healthy relationship, they fight, talk about each other to ME, and accuse each other all the time. The aren't honest with each other and keep secrets from each other. So in the end they teach me a lot of things to avoid. In turn they have created a family that does not communicate and it drive me insane! I've tried to talk to them about it but they don't think anything is wrong so what can I really do. Even if I was in a relationship I would not go to them because I know that they would talk bad about me behind my back. They've done it before. I hear them talking about me all the time. Its sad but that's my life. :/ I've come to learn to not trust anyone, which may be a reason that I am not in a relationship right now.Good Question! lol