Am I dating a Mama's Boy?

I am 23, almost 24. He is 28, almost 29. He his a military brat, and comes from a German culture. I have absoulty no problem, with being close with family. Family is extreamly important to me, so it wouldn't be to my "other half." However, this is my problem.

My boyfriend, no joke, literally, texts his mom non stop while I'm with him. It is annoying. No, I am not jealous. But, like, I have a healthy realtionship with my mom, and don't have to text her every hour of the day. I am not over exaggerating when I say, he is texting her ever hour of every day... any advice?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's sweet that he has a close relationship with his mum. But...you're meant to be the "main" woman on his mind. If he's still texting back and forth to mummy while you guys are on a date, I'm sorry but he needs to grow up and get his act together. The same applies if he's texting other people while you're having a conversation, it is just common courtesy to pay attention to the person who is speaking to you. You should probably discuss it with him because although you're handling it alright now, how do you know that in other situations/whatever, he's not also going to choose his mother over you? It's a minor issue now but I reckon you should try resolve it as soon as possible before it becomes more problematic in your relationship. Nip in the bud whle you can.

What Guys Said 5

• What about women who are referred to daddy's girl? I'm sure men think the same way oh look she's like 35 but still is very close to her father. Its a double standard because women are social except to be close to her parents especially her father but if a guy is close to his mother he's seen as weak.

• miss! yes! you are dating a mama's boy. run while you have the chance!

• tell him to get together

• Odd, I thought girls are usually able to tell if a guy is a mamas boy or not when the guy has approached her for the first time, or during the first date

• Same here but love is blind I guess. :/ I have no idea.

• Well in someways this is kinda inspiring

• because I'm almost 26 and I still live with my parents, only have a high school diploma, but I don't consider myself a mamas boy in the sense in which I let my Mom dictate my life

• That is a little over the top, a pet peeve of mine is being on a date and having the person I am with being preoccupied with something on there phone. Luckily it only happened once.

What Girls Said 7

• I used to like a mamas boy and I thought it was sweet and adorable how he always answered her phone calls. Just because he is not focusing his attention on you does not mean you can't enjoy and delight in what he is doing. I think it's lovely when a man takes care of his mother. It's almost as attractive as being good with children. I can't decide which quality I like more in men: being good with children or having a good relationship with your mother.

• Are you sure he's texting his mother?

Does his mother have a mental problem that leaves her needy?

It's not normal. Having said that if I don't answer my landline and subsequently miss 2 mobile calls my mother will go flying off on the paranoia wondering what ditch I'm lying in. Once I answer her she leaves me alone. Makes life a little difficult seen as I don't want to tell her about the guys I see.

So I can understand a little contact but I would expect it to be coming from the mother rather than him wanting to be in contact with her all the time.

Why don't you ask him?

• I would put it to him that texting anyone frequently when you're supposedly having a real life face to face interaction with another person is very rude...even if it's his mother, tell him he can text her as much as he wants when he's alone but when he's with people (ie you), he should cut it out.

• What does german culture have to do with you thinking he might be a mama's boy? What makes you assume that is his mom he is texting? Do you look through his phone without his permission? I need more details. Other than that all I can say is talk to him.

• Yeah, that's f***ing weird...

• Good to be filial to our parents and maintaining close relationship still after we enter the adulthood. But his behavior is not showing courtesy to you..somehow it seem like mama boy in that way . If we are on date our focus is the person with us. No mama boy for me ...

• That's who he is, he's probably not going to change. You should accept it or leave him.