Have you ever dated someone who was not your type?

I usually go for buff guys around my age. But the guy I'm really into now has a really big belly (you can tell he used to be buff) and is 10 years older. I didn't think I would like him as much as I do now when we first hooked up. But he turned out to be a great guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, that's why I try to be pretty open minded and not have a "type" because at the end of the day, it's only going to limit you from tons of potentially wonderful people. If there's one thing I'm absolutely sure of, it's that life is not meant to follow the precise path of your imagination. So this cute little idea people tend to cook up as a "type" can easily become a barrier for what magnificence life really has planned for you.

What Guys Said 7

• I have before because I thought differently about them at first. At first they seem like my type but when we start dating, things get weird.

I have dated a pessimist, someone with a temper tantrum, Immature, Racist, etc. ( Yeah the racist thing caught me off guard too when I was dating her.)

It happens but I'm usually able to adjust , but certain things I can't deal with because Its too much stress when I don't have to deal with them.

• Yes. I've been more "open" to certain things; girls who are not my ideal type.

I figure if they seem kind or trustworthy (that's a part of my type, don't get me wrong... that's really attractive...), or patient, or decent with kids (which I actually don't see very often, sadly...) then I'm like... "ok, I'll give it a try."

Now that I've dated (only a little), I'm less willing to go for "seemingly generous and a few other important things," I want to date someone is "sort of kind" but really kind. I don't want to date "ok with kids and doesn't mind them" I want someone who is amazing with children. I don't want someone who will tolerate my job; I want her to think I'm great at it. I want her to support me at it. And I'm less willing to settle for "ok" than before.

• I also usually go for buff guys. But I've figured out ex-buff guys with bellies are usually cooler.

• Yes. Not out of choice though. I generally don't like overweight women but basically every girl I've been anywhere near dating was overweight.

• With age and experience, your views change in the love dept. If he makes you happy , then go for it.

• sure

its awkward

• Mmm, not really.

And I guess a lot of really buff guys don't adjust... "muscle turn to fat." Of course, that doesn't happen at all. A guy gets used to eating a ton and working out a ton. Problem is, it's hard to cut down so easy, so guys keep eating a ton, but instead of burning it off, it builds up...

What Girls Said 10

• I know exactly what you mean. I always told myself I would never go for the guy I'm dating now because he just wasn't my type at all, and he is 7 years older. When we starting talking though, I kind of let that all go. We have really good chemistry and that's 100x more important than whether he fits my "type" that I had planned out before I was in a relationship. If you guys are a good pair then maybe it's time to re-evaluate what you want to consider "your type" :)

• I don't really believe in types and so try and keep an open mind about partners

• It was a big mistake when I did it lol. But that's just because he was a jerk.

I don't really have a "type" anyway I guess, he was just very different from me. I like to stay open-minded about guys though.

• My Boyfriend was 'not my type' when we started.

He was the popular jock, 6'5, buff, clubber, loads of friends, always had women, dated girls not more than 3 months and randomly dumped them because he got bored, into rave/house music, drugs, booze, fast cars etc. Typical guys guy.

I was the painfully shy, inexperienced girl. Never went out, sat home reading, straight edge, had pitch black hair, heavy eyeliner, piercings, listened to depro music. I was always into the complex, deep, skinny, pale, tattooed, long haired guy in a band.

We've been dating for almost 5 years now.

He pursued me because I was "a mind ****, couldn't read you at all and you were so interesting." I wasn't interested in him and I thought he was beneath me unfortunately, but eventually I started liking him, he was so exciting compared to what I was used to.

We've both changed for the better and grown :) We totally compliment each other and have the same views on almost everything - only we approach issues differently because of our personalities.

• Yup the whiny, clingy, over sensitive, man child, not muscular not alpha male type, almost drove me insane. So I try to stick more to the alpha male type I go for because if not I'll get bored and go crazy. The other type like I described the cryin man. It was always why don't you pay attention to me more, call me more, tell me this about myself, I was like really I mine as well be dating another woman.

• Oh god yes I have!

I recently moved to England and dated a guy for about a month who is pretty much the complete opposite of what I normally go for, and doubt I will again.

It's not the same, I saw him more as a friend than boyfriend even though I did like him.

Anyway, he turned out to be a dickhead he still had some similar qualities of my exes :)

• Yes,but only because I was bored...lol I think,don't really remember my reasoning for dating them in the first place.

• I don't think I've figured out what my type is, or if I even have one. The guys I've dated are all as different to one another as day and night in terms of looks, demeanour, interests, etc... A lot of variety.

• I wasn't really attracted to my boyfriend when I first met him, but after being friends for a couple years, I found my attraction really grew as I got to know him.

• ithought so but I tend to have a type called a**holes and jerks so I am trying to look at different guys.