How do you know the difference between if a guy wants to "hang out" as friends or go on a date?

i hung out with these 2 guys for the first time in about a year and a half and one of them messaged me a few days later thanking me for hanging out with them, saying he had a good time, and saying he wants to hang out again. then a few days later the second guy messaged me saying I should have offered the first guy to spend the night with me. I think it was a joke. but then the following day the first guy asked me when we were going to hang out again. this was only a week after we hung out and less than a week since he had thanked me for hanging out. he also said we should try to do dinner. I typically hear that the dinner suggestion usually implies a date but I haven't been on a real date in about 3 years so I'm a little rusty on that lol so how do I tell if he wants to "hang out" as friends or "hang out" as in go out?

Most Helpful Guy

• Advice: You simply ask him if he's not saying it straight out.

I thought I might have had a date earlier this year. I quickly learned that was not the case and then the girl got back with her ex (haha, and as I'm keeping it brief, I realize how that might sound, but I swear I didn't make her run back to him. Apparently they had very recently broken up, so I probably would've been a rebound anyway had we started dating).

In short, just ask what it is or make some sort of subtle move or question.

What Guys Said 7

• Simple, ask him.

Bam, problem solved.

Seriously though, ask him. Just ask what his intentions are. Ask if he wants to hang out as friends or go on a date. You'll get your answer and know where both of you stand.

• He wants to go on a date with you. Just be casual and don't read into it too much, and maybe you will get a second date!

no need to ask him if its a date (as other are suggesting,) as this can put unwanted tension and he is clearly interested in you. If you continue to see him for dinners, it might turn into more of a relationship. He seems a little shy so you might need to flirt a little with touch with him.

• Sounds like they were using the hang out first to find out if you are date and/or sex worthy to me. Now one of them is interested and trying to be coy about it. I would message him back and ask if he's asking you to hang out or if he's asking you out on a date. Then react accordingly.

• sounds date-y.

• Its a date ( with sexual advances on top) so if this is what you want go for dinner and get nailed! But if I where you I wouldn't take this one as a long lasting one! He even got is partener(bb.) in the game to get you to ask the dude on a f***date! I hope these guys are young since rhey are acting as kids...

Ruberlegz

• Men come back. Sounds like you need to go on that date.

• Single? Real man, penis and everything? Yeah, he likes you. If the though of going out with him is a 'happy' though, make a move. He sounds like I would, kind of shy.

What Girls Said 0