Women dating significantly older men, has that been going on since the beginning of time?

Because it almost always is usually the guy is older than the girl, and it seems no matter how old men get they are always naturally attracted to women in their 20's, also, I know people say stability, career, on one of the primary reasons why women date older men, and I'm talking about women in their 20's or early thirties that date men that are like 10 years older than them or more, but money did not exist yet when we were living in caves, I know fertility plays the main role as to why men are attracted to younger women, but you would think women would want a man that is going to live long enough to be around her children

or is women dating older men something more modern?
So basically men can attract women at any age but not the other way around?

Most Helpful Girl

• i don't really like older men but they seem to be very attracted to me. I'm 25. the oldest I would go is like 33/34, but I don't really consider that "older". I mean yes that is older than me, but he's not so much older that I would have a hard time relating to him or be embarrassed to introduce him to ppl. when you start getting into the mid30s is when I would not be attracted. I think in the past, women liked these men because they had more resources and stability and were better long term prospects. 50 years ago I probably would already be married by now to a man at least 10 years older than me. I just don't see the appeal. you have plenty of time to be with an older man when you're an old woman. when you're young why not get a young hot guy you can have more in common with?

What Girls Said 7

• @ update - women are generally attracted to maturity and personality things. With men, these generally get even better as they age. Also, sex gets better too because older men know how to use it ;) After being with an older man, younger men don't compare now... Also, as I get older I would be less likely to date a younger man as the maturity isn't there which is also likely why you don't see a lot of women significantly older than their men. Unfortunately these men are generally "toy boys" when they do date a lot younger.

As for men they're more attracted to looks and fertility. While there are some absolutely stunning women at every age, the younger ones tend to be the knockouts. If they can get these girls why not go after them?

• Older guys are more likely to have erection problems though, so why are younger women so attracted to them still

• I just wish there was a way that I can prevent myself from dating a woman that much significantly younger than me when I'm older

• I hate how women have to be wired like this

• Older men are more mature. It's a fact of life that women mature faster and it's really annoying to deal with that much immaturity. I didn't know how old my boyfriend when we started hanging out I liked him for his personality and the fact that he didn't act like a child.

• I'm dating a guy 11 years younger than me. He's ridiculously attractive and I guess I should feel like really hot shit that he loves me so much, but the truth is that it scares me a lot. All women want to feel like "the prize." It's hard to feel that way when you see yourself aging and losing some of that "glow" that makes you so attractive when you're young (almost everyone is hot when they're in their 20's, I realize now that I'm in my 30's). I'm at a perfect age where I could still land a guy who is 10 or 15 years older than me and it would make perfect sense. I think about the age thing a lot more now. Dating much older men was never something that I was interested in, but I understand the appeal much more from where I'm standing now. It's all about security. Emotional, not just financial.

• that's great to hear, nice to see something different for a change

• I dated an older man so that I wouldn't have to deal with all the jealousy, insecurity and other bullshit that younger men seem force upon me.

They make their self consciousness my problem and try to change my life (That was there before them) to appease them because other girls were bad to them in the past.

• probably always been

• Older men are more nurturing and caring they just seem to get it more.

What Guys Said 7

• This has been going on for millennia. For example, if you know your Bible, Joseph was believed to be much, much older than Mary (who was thought to be a young teen when Jesus was born). Until relatively recently marriage has been more about economics than emotion. It benefited young girls to be marry established, wealthier men and it benefited the men to have very young brides who could bear lots of healthy children. I don't think it's all about money now. One important detail people forget is that women mature much sooner than men. A lot of young men act like they're stuck in adolescence. Many young women don't care for that.

• I've had a serious relationship with a woman that was 11 years younger. It was a good relationship except she wanted kids and I didn't. She thought she could change my mind but that will never change. We had a lot in common and we got along great. I let her go so she could go find some one and have kids.

I see it more and more when I'm out and about. I see older guys with younger women fairly often now. I think it will continue to become more and more common. I'd do it again if the situation presented itself and she was not wanting kids. I see nothing wrong with it, even with an older woman with a younger man. If they get along and have fun together, what difference does it make?

• Its always been so. A man's prime is usually when he's in his 40's - because by then the average man fulfills himself to the peak. That's the point where he's the strongest in his life. However a woman reaches her peak in her early to mid 20s - that's when she looks the best she will ever look in her life.

For some women that powerful partner is the ultimate target. So they use the fact that they're at their peak beauty to attract those men and settle with them.

• I thought it was 30's for men?

• 30's? You're kidding me!? One only begins his life in his 30's!

• I would say it is part of evolution so yes since the beginning of time

• First I want to dispel the myth that women mature faster than men. Women mature earlier (not faster) physiologically, but not cognitively. Even still, it's usually only about 2 years sooner than guys. Not a big difference. There is no proof of one sex maturing cognitively faster than the other sex. When most people say someone is more mature than another it's partly due to the brain being more developed but it's mainly because of personal life experience. The more experience you have in something the better you are able to handle that situation. How you react in that situation can define how others view your maturity level. How a person is nurtured growing up. Someone that loses both of their parents at a young age and are forced to grow up will more likely be more mature than someone that grew up in a rich family that spoiled the living crap out of them. So, while age does play a factor in maturity, a persons sex does not factor in a persons cognitive maturity level. There are girls that will use this myth that they mature faster mentally as justification for dating older men. Even though dating older men doesn't need a justification because they are free to date whomever they want. Within legal means of course.

On to your question. I don't think it's more of a modern thing. This kind of thing has been going on for centuries. Older men had resources to take care of a family and younger girls were in better shape to have children and take care of them. It wasn't until the recent centuries that we started seeing women waiting til their 20's to get married and have children. Back in the day females would get married in their young and mid teenage years since that was considered their prime. Thanks to the modern times we live in, a woman's prime is getting later and later. Same thing with men. Also, thanks to the fact that we live longer nowadays dating someone that is 10 years older than us isn't all that much. Generation after generation our bodies are able to stay in our prime/close to our prime for a longer period of time.

With that said, I don't think there's too much difference between modern times and way back when. The only real difference is that we live longer and have laws against having sexual relations with young teenagers.

• Women have always been more attracted to a guys resources.

It has little to do with maturity like most women say since it makes it look like their no after his resources. A mature 30 year old would never date a 20 year old of he was actually mature

• I think their are different reasons for it. It use to be that the older men were the strongest and smartest men. Which is how they lived long enough to get old. So they had good DNA and could still have children in their advanced age. Older women are less likely to have a child, so men are not designed to be attracted to them.

There is also a lot of prostitution that goes on. Older men were the ones with money, so some young women were attracted to the lifestyle that these men could offer. Now that women are making more money the cougars are on the prowl. I think these are the two biggest reasons why younger girls date older guys.