Guys what profession would you rather date?

A lawyer or a psychologist?

What if a girl has a law degree but she doesn't practice law and works as a psychologist or guidance counselor?

Which would be more appealing?

My law degree is not costing me a lot of money and I am too far in the program to drop out (basically dropping out would be more of a waste than finishing) but I don't want to practice law. I hate the confrontational and hostile nature and the pressure. I am more of a gentle emotional person and psychology has always been my passion but I never pursued it and now I want to pursue it when I get my law degree.

Part of the reason I chose law was because I could have an easier major in college and my parents have always "encouraged" me to be a lawyer (putting it nicely as when I say I have doubts about being a lawyer and want to be a psychologist they give me a guilt trip and tell me I am picking a bs job)

But neither one is a lawyer and they are going by prestige more than reality. I hate law more than I thought and I am way more passionate about psychology, it also fits my nature better.

Most Helpful Guy

• The law degree will come in handy with patients who threaten lawsuits, and maybe you can go into professional liability law, which is somewhat less confrontational than other branches.

But when you find you have decided on your true interests, don't hesitate to pursue them.

Mostly, guys want to date those who have their act together, and aren't doing something they aren't suited for. That's a recipe for depression and bad relationships.

Go for what you love, whether in your studies or in yur personal life.

• You're on the right course now, I think. Good for you.

• Psychology was always an interest but I pursued law and after completing more than half my law degree I feel as if I made a grave mistake. But when I tell my family that they say I am being immature and fickle and I need to grow up and become a lawyer because it's better and being a psychologist is dumb. But I've always had passion for it now I am just sure before I wasn't.

• Sometimes it takes years and years to find where you belong!

What Guys Said 11

• 1) At first glance I'd rather date a lawyer then a psychologist because she's less likely to be dealing with people's feelings all day long. A social worker is likely to bring that baggage home with her, and it would influence her mood and just poison our mutual lives. Lawyers many times just work on process type stuff where the are drawing up contracts, affidavits, wills, etc. I know some of them work divorce, nasty high profile criminal cases, or civil justice type crap but the majority don't do that. I wouldn't want to date a save the world layer either.

2) I'd think she either didn't know what she wanted to do when she started law school and just pursued it for the money, or she tried out law and hated it and decided she needed to go a different direction in life.

• Law overall is very cutthroat and stressful and competitive. Most people who last have that type a nature whether they work in contracts or the courtroom.

• If it's not your passion, then follow a different path. I'm just stating I personally don't like psychologists all that much and I would hate to be in a relationship with someone that is constantly dealing with that much drama. It would drain her, and as a result would drain me. People I'm emotionally involved with effect my emotions...

I'd also hate to be involved with a doctor that constantly dealt with death, like a pediatric oncologists or a ER surgeon who was always stressed out about

• losing lives and little kids. I can see how that kind of stress can rip a person apart, and I'd prefer it not rip me apart indirectly.

• I'd rather date a psychologist because I like the field and there's a good chance I would relate to her well. That's what I wanted to do but it didn't work out. I may go back and pursue that at some point. I'd really like to work in the research field.

• What profession a girl has, does not have any bearing on whether I like her or not.

So long as it is a job that she loves doing.

• Lawyer. What's wrong with corporate law?

Psychology will be very depressing for you.

• i hate the corporate world. makes me cringe.

• It takes a special person to be a psychologist. It's nice to want to help people but honestly their CrAzY. The person that has minor issues that you & I may shrug off is a huge ordeal to them to the person that has serious issues. Hearing this every day, day in & day out is depressing.

• ...but what do YOU want to do? Do you want to protect, help, fix, fight? Rethink your approach to find what you love to do. You need to list the TOP 3 things you love to do...then combine all three...and voila there is your goal.

• In both ways, I can see it intimidating OR exciting.

My pick is a psychologist, at least she would know how to keep a relationship running in my opinion.

• Get an MBA. Psychology is a road to nowhere. But to answer your question, neither. A lawyer is too masculine of a profession, and psychologists/psychiatrists are usually more messed up than their patients.

• For me it wouldn't matter what profession a person has. I find it appealing that you are motivated towards accomplishing something.

• I rather date a girl not a profession.

• A woman's education does not make a woman more attractive to most guys. An education is more of a status symbol than anything else. Status symbols are more important to women than men. Your looks and personality will always be more important than your education to most guys. An attractive woman, with a kind and fun personality that cleans toilets for a living, will have better luck with men, then a plain Jane that is boring and rude.

• Interesting. Dad seems to think law degree means I will magically meet an amazing man. I think he's off his rocker. Many men also hate lawyers from what I've seen.

• You need to pick a profession you are not going to hate. If you hate your job, you will be unhappy with your life.

• I agree. I feel miserable right now.

• You solved your own question..in a way. Why live your life according to what's appealing to the opposite sex? Most men don't even care, as long as you have a paying job. Honestly if you wanted a serious answer, I would be more attracted to the guidance counselor. They seem more gentle, more understanding, and down to earth. When I think of a lawyer, I see a brute of an attitude, suit wearing, stuck up being.

On an entirely different note, do what you want to do. Don't waste time on chasing after something you're not even passionate about. Why spend all that money on something you'd prefer not doing?

Be you! A counselor, in my book, can change a life better than a lawyer ever could. A counselor is someone who can change things for the better, long term. Do you.

• The law degree isn't costing me a lot of money and since I'm so far in I want to finish it just to fall back on as pursuing a second degree may cost me more and I am getting older. However I do agree with you about lawyers being nasty. People always tell me I seem more like a counselor as I am soft and non aggressive. A lot of the women in law make me feel intimidated by their bossy aggression.

What Girls Said 1

• At one pt of my life..I aspired to be lawyer but realized I am not suitable for such career. My mum wasn't supportive because a lawyer could turn black into white and vice versa , I agreed my personality isn't suitable for such field / environment.