Why does he text me first then never reply after I text back?

We had a job orientation and a guy who I work with texted me. We were having lunch in the cafeteria and when he saw me he says "Oh hey there's Michelle" so I said hey. He then texts me saying "Hey", I respond by saying "What's up" and he never replied back. Why did he do that? Why would guys text first then never reply after you text them back?

Is this a bad sign then?
...

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe he didn't know what to say or texted you accidentally

What Guys Said 1

• because he doesn't want to make it look like he is really attached to you. or he is over thinking every response you send and doesn't know how to react.

What Girls Said 5

• Maybe he's playing hard to get?

Boys tend to d that and it's really annoying because it gets to the point where you're not sure whether he likes you or not!

I'm sure if he pointed you out then texted you he does like you, he's just playing hard to get or trying to act 'the lad' :)

• Depends on how you see this guy. If you are interested in him more than friends, then it isn't a very good look so far.

• Not necessarily a bad sign! It just depends what his intentions are

• He probably doesn't know what to say after that.

• Couldn't think of anything else to say or was just bored at the moment. He'd keep texting you if he's interested tough.

• Re: your update...well let's put it this way. If there was a boy you liked, would you do that? Would you start a conversation and then just drop it?

• Probably not- but there's this other guy who I really like, he gave me his number but I never text him unless he says to because I think I'm a bother. What I don't understand if he didn't want to reply, then why even text me first?

• Exactly. I'm also the type to worry that I'd be a bother. So either I'd not text...or I'd carry through a conversation. One or the other-- and not a half-assed in-between kinda deal that this particular guy is doing. I'm not saying he's definitely not interested, I'd say just don't get your hopes up too too high. Good luck!