When is the appropriate time to date after a breakup?

To begin I just got out of a relationship of 5 months he left because he couldn't handle having a relationship and deal with his grandma dieing from cancer and a bunch of other reasons all leading up to not knowing what he wants.. he told me he wanted us to work but right now isn't the time for him to be in a relationship he then told me not to hold myself back form being happy rather it was with someone else or with something I love doing which told me he wasn't coming back. So now I'm meeting people again and getting to know a few guys as friends but I feel wrong for doing so knowing I wanted it to work but am seeing signs of it not being a possibility . I don't want to date for a few months if that but I want to be able to get close to someone without having a feeling I shouldn't be doing it? so when would be the appropriate time to date again ?

27

Most Helpful Guy

• You won't choose this, all you need to do is maintain your own personality, be yourself, and don't try and put a time limit on your emotions, because you could find that your really into a guy but stop yourself because you think its to early, well there's no such thing, just follow the emotions your body creates, and trust your instincts, because this way, your end up with exactly all the things you desire. listen to your body when it tells you something, this way you won't miss out,x

Sponsored

What Guys Said 6

• You can date whenever you want. You don't have to answer to anybody. Only hold back if you can't focus.

• There is not going to be a set amount of time, like in TV shows they have come up with tons of things like one month for every year you dated, so that would only be like 2 weeks for you, which is most likely not nearly enough time. You just have to take it slow and let yourself ease back into the dating world. Don't be afraid to flirt, or go out on a date if a guy asks you out and you like him or he seems nice. Just do what feels right for you, but if the past relationship is over, try to let it be over, you don't want to be the person that missing something great because they are stuck thinking about what could of been. Hope I helped, I am here if you need to talk!

• thank you coming from a guys point of view I don't have to feel like I'm being a whore now if I want to go hangout with a guy lol

• yep lol I went to hangout with a friend of 4 years and cuddle and it took me about a hour to get comfortable after going on a long drive in the country something I love doing but I finally did just took a lot and still feel odd about it

• well cuddling can be intimate, and that might of brought up feelings of it feeling odd since that is something you would do with a bf

• When you feel you are mentally ready for a relationship. It took me three years to get over my ex fiancé. It's all about how much you went through together and how emotionally involved you were. Some people are different and it takes longer. Some sooner.

• Different time for different people.

I've heard people respond to these kind of questions in a matter of time that they believe if reasonable, which surprises me!

What I believe is a good time? Minimum 10 weeks. Assuming that it was a serious break up.

• When ever you have finished grieving. Each person is different, some it may take days others months or years. It just shows how emotionally invested you were to the person.

• Just ignore that feeling and do it anyway, you're just wasting your time waiting around for him, and will regret it in the long run.

What Girls Said 2

• I am still not ready it's been almost two months for me, everyone is different! You will know when you are ready! Do it because you want to, not because you feel obligated to!

• i wan to at some point but I still feel odd going out wiht friends that are guys knowing that I was happy

• If you feel uncomfortable then don't do it! Just wait:)

• You only dated for five months, so it's not like it should take long.

Anyway there isn't a set time. When you're ready, you're ready.