Could a Muslim guy seriously date a non Muslim girl?

I mean beyond a fling. What are the chances that a Muslim guy would take a non Muslim girl seriously for a long term relationship? Also is it likely that his family would disaprove of her because she is not Muslim ?

he was born and raised in North America but his family is from the Middle East

Most Helpful Guy

• Either she converts or she's some slut to fool around with till he marries a Muslim girl.

What Guys Said 8

• It's not rare but scarce

A Muslim guy sure will take a non Muslim girl seriously but conversion becomes a compulsion later though not in all but most cases (I'm yet to hear about one where the guy didn't coerce her to go back to his native country and then practice Islam)

Muslim guy especially from the Middle East takes religion seriously.

I'm not being judgmental but that's how it generally is and I've known. There can always be exceptions.

Good luck :)

• As a Muslim, yes ofcourse I would take it seriously. When I fall in love I fall in love. And if I am mature enough... I will make my own decisions and not my family... You don't have to convert ( If you are a christian or a jew then this is fine.. even a nominal non practicing one or even if you just believe in God ). However children could be something that needs discussing.

Message me if you wanna more details and good luck :)

• I am not Muslim, but I would assume if he has strong faith he would want his girlfriend, who could potentially become his wife, to share the same priorities as him, spirituality is a huge part of a relationship and relationships are about sharing in each others lives, if he can't share something as huge as his faith with you, then how is a long term relationship supposed to workout?

Just saying.

Although if he is not very serious about his faith then he just might.

I would not if I were him.

• Theoretically, the conversion is mandatory. However not all Muslim families / individuals follow the rules as strictly as others. There will always be members in his immediate and distant relatives who will takes behing your backs. But most important is what his parents think. Regardless, both of you will have to make many adjustments in life if you were to marry.

• yeah why not? That's like an American guy dating a Japanese girl, so what?

• The chances exist because it depends on him. However, you need to be aware of a few things.

It all depends if he is very religious or not and how his family is. His family can disapprove or they can even cast him out and exile him if he does not abide by their wishes. There will come a time where he will require you to convert to Islam. Do not be fooled into thinking that you can change religions again once this is done as Islam carries a penalty of death should you become a non-believer.

Cut your losses.

• Muslims usually view non-Muslim women as trashy, second class, etc.

He'll expect you to convert if it ever got serious.

And yes, the parents will basically act like their son is dating a stripper. Do yourself a favor, just don't do it.

• Baseless rubbish.

• Well, maybe it's different if it's Sunni or Shia. I spent a month around Beirut and another few weeks around London, the Muslims did not seem to appreciate it when outsiders are around. Though in London, given that I'm white, I should've blended aside from accent, lmao. A couple of heavily Muslim areas, they were pretty much glaring daggers at my friends.

• why would you want to? they are very controlling people. you should do some research before you take this seriously. you need to watch "not without my daughter" a 1991 film about an American Caucasian woman marrying a Muslim man.

• "they are very controlling" I'm not Muslim but that sounds like stereotyping to me

What Girls Said 11

• It depends on how important religion is to his life and whether he feels he could come to an agreement with her about things like how to raise any future children without forcing her to change her religion and without compromising his own values. Depending on the person it may not be possible. It is also very likely that his family will not approve, especially if they are very conservative.

Having said this it is possible so long as both people are considerate and respectful of their differences and are willing to work through their differences.

• I live in a Muslim country.As a non Muslim girl,I would say yes some of them will date you but if you want to marry them you must convert and follow all the Islamic rules.Would you?

In my country anyone who married with a Muslim would have to convert regardless of their genders.Its the country regulation.I have dated few in past.Their family were fine with me but I had no intention to get anything serious with them.

Here, marrying/dating a non Muslim is seen as a good thing because if he/she successfully converted their partner it will be considered as a blessing but Middle Easterners have way stronger culture than the Malaysian Muslims so maybe its different.Their family probably won't like it though.

• same for singapore too

• Really? I thought Singapore has different rules for Muslims.I have heard some cases where the Non Muslim didn't convert.

• not as strict as other countries I guess though I saw a lady being converted

• In western countries Muslim marry non Muslims some don't convert. But it's important the non Muslim converts if they wants to marry a Muslim. Our Prophet married a non Muslim she was a jew hee tribe betrayed his kindness yet to safe her he married her. She converted and became a Muslim her name was saffiya. Hence Muslim men can marry non Muslims if they convert. It depends on the family how religious they are. This will sound horrible but if he's dating you then he's not a very religious Muslim. Could also be he's keeping you for fun and later he might go for a arranged marriage. Talk to him find out about his family.

• To be honest there's a 50/50 chance

My uncle is Muslim he married a unmaslim Spanish

Women they been together for 10 years

Have 2 kids. Even though his mom

Try to convince him not too he still did it.

But again there's this guy I know who

Was with this un Muslim women he dated

Her for 5 years but said he would never marry

Her or take her serious he much rather a

Muslim women to have kids with and grow

Old with.

So to be honest it all depends on the kind of

Guy he is, but it's a bigger chance he would rather

U as a Muslim.

• Well my brother is a Muslim and he is dating a non Muslim for over 2 years. And they are in love and he is pretty serious about their relationship.And yes my family doesn't approve of her but he fought the whole world for the non Muslim girl he loves.

• Hi I am a catholic women from Ireland, dating a Muslim man from Pakistan,we have been dating almost a year now and everything is going great,I'm so much in love with him and he tells me I'm the best thing that happened in his life,he respects my religion as I do with his,he allows me to eat pork,never would stop me,he even offers to buy it for me ,he also drinks alcohol and takes me out for drinks,we have been talking about getting married and having kids together which I am totally happy with as we get on so well together and I can see myself spending life with this man and he says the same! we have had our conversation about when we have kids together and we both agreed that they would take the Muslim religion but would get baptised,holy communion and confirmation and celebrate Christmas respect to me,we talked about how we would do our wedding,we would get married in Europe with the European wedding style but would travel to Pakistan to celebrate with his family,he said he would never ask me to convert to Muslim religion,only if I wanted to,that its up to myself to decide!which I thought is fair,all of his family know about me,i have spoken to all of them over Skype and they all seem like down to earth people,they where so happy to see me and I got on really well with all of his sisters and mum,and they are all so happy for us,his family are religious people but accept him and are happy for him being with a European women,end of this year we plan on getting engaged,i am so excited,and we plan on visiting his country which I look forward to meeting all family face-to-face,so my point of story is don't compare all Muslim men to be the same just because you heard of a story that didn't work out because there not,their is all different type of Muslim men and my story explains that..and if you keep reading story about negativity,and bad about Muslim men,your relationship won't work out..if your happy with him and he makes you feel it,and you can spend life with this man don't listen to anything thing else but your heart ,and only you know what your heart is feeling ,i hope my story makes anyone with doubts feel better and don't always judge a book by its cover,now happy living and I wish best of luck for your future :)

Hi I know your post was a couple years ago. But I am in a similar situation and just wondered how things have been for you since?
      Would love to know if everything worked out

• As a Muslim myself id like to say to all the people who answered this question to know it is not mandatory for a woman to convert to Islam in order to marry a Muslim man however it is mandatory for the guy to convert if a Muslim woman is interested in him for marriage. Secondly it depends on his family and how much he is devoted to his religion know this when I tell you Islam teaches us to be kind to every race religion age there is so if his family treats you badly then obviously it is not Islam it is a made up Islam in their head. I know many Muslim men who have married non Muslim women and our family has been equally welcoming as we would've been if it was a Muslim woman. I also know a few Muslim women who have married non Muslim men. So don't worry it doesn't depend on the guys religion it depends on his upbringing if he was taught by his parents to respect women and not think of them as sex objects

• It would have to depend on his upbringing and what his parents as people. His parents might frown upon on him for dating a non Muslim.

• She will have to convert to her religion, is she willing ?

• Some would some won't you just have to see what his views are

a lot of them want their wife to convert tho

• Yes. I personally met several Muslim guy/non-Muslim girl married couples.

It depends on what his family is like, some Muslim families are open to this idea.