When dating someone, do you think about if your parents will approve?

My parents are VERY protective and strict about dating. Its not because of religion or race, its basically about protecting me from falling for the wrong guy. I've had one boyfriend and kept it a secret from them because I knew they wouldn't approve. My parents are also want me to wait till marriage to lose my virginity. I've honestly have no problem with having the approval of my parents of me dating someone, I feel it will make things a lot better knowing I could bring them home.

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually it's mostly my friends. A friend of mine is dating a guy that I don't like. I grid a lot but he doesn't like to go out not matter what it is, he's judgmental, it's not possible to have a conversation with him. None of her friends like the guy so I was nervous when I introduced my boyfriend to them. I was so relieve that he got along with everyone, in a way it made me feel better about my relationship, knowing that people though we were great together, that I was not totally blinded by love.

Your parents can't decide who you want to date, they can't decide if you want to wait until mariage, it's entirely up to you. It's your life.

• Yeah I would consider friends part of the equation also.

What Guys Said 2

• No. They're not dating the girl I'm with, I am. It's my relationship, not theirs.

On top of that, I'm my own person, so if dating someone is a mistake, it's MY mistake to make.

• Nah I don't care. My parents don't really care either as long as I'm happy.

What Girls Said 6

• No. I won't choose MY boyfriend based on who my family does or doesn't like. It's my life, who I choose to be with affects no one else except me.

I don't mean that how my family feels isn't important, because obviously I want them to be comfortable around who I'm dating. However, just because my family doesn't like someone doesn't mean I'm going to pass up a potentially good relationship.

• Never, because I am a good judge of character. If I like them, and they like me that is all that matters.

• Nope.

My dad has already told me to date who I want to date. I know my mom has preferences and I share the religious preferences with her (I won't marry a Muslim for example, due to lifestyle), but their opinion is irrelevant.

That said if my parents were hateful it would be unfair of me to bring someone into that position, knowing that they will never be accepted.

• Nope

• yes in some ways

• yes that's important to me