Should I congratulate ex on her birthday?

Hey guys.

So we broke up many months ago, and haven't talked for two. Her birthday is today, and initially, I wasn't planning on congratulating her, since getting over her has been easier since we don't speak, and we didn't break up on exactly good terms (she left me for another guy).

But, a few days ago, it was my father's death anniversary. He passed away 4 years ago, and my ex texted me that day to support me. So, since I got that text, I've been wondering if I should congratulate her today on her birthday.

What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• it's complicated, do what you feel like doing. I feel it's polite to to give back her wishes to you on your dad death anniversary. may be she did that because she's feeling guilty about what she did, or may she just wants to normalize your relationship, either way just do what you feel like doing that day. if you do it could buffer any awkwardness between you tow, whatever you do think that you're dealing with another human being, and leave any hatred out of it, so do what your consciousness impose.

What Girls Said 4

• First of all, I really hope you know that although we've probably all done this at one point or another, you really shouldn't be over analyzing something this simple when it comes to an ex. I don't know if you're still not over her, but if you still aren't over her, then you really should work on that if she left you for another guy. I have many ex's and I never say happy birthday to them, and they never said happy birthday to me. I went out with a guy for two years and he still tries texting me to ask how I'm doing but never bothered to say happy birthday. I don't think that if this girl left you for another guy,that she cares if you say happy birthday or not. And she probably won't say happy birthday to you. You shouldn't be talking to her. That's nice and all that she did that, but that shouldn't make you feel obligated to do anything for her.

• Go ahead and do it. you need to maintain your social back up.

• yes if she acknowledged you dad's death then a simple HBD text should be ok.

• ah, she texted you on the matters of death and you want to text her for matters of life... I don't think you should do it. Just let it pass

What Guys Said 3

• If you don't mind texting her, and the only thing stopping you was wondering if it were appropriate, then I think you should. She set the precedent by texting you about your dad. A happy birthday message (justa short, text or FB thing) is pretty harmless. No harm in being civil.

But if you don't want to because you find it hard to keep in contact, do whatever you feel like. You aren't obligated to return a text.

Bottom line, unless you are overtly against contacting her, I would just say it.

• Sure and while you are at it see that scar on your arm? take a knife and recut it open because you forgot about how painful the healing process was .. that closed up scar wasn't closure enough.

does THAT make sense?

• Meh, I wouldn't bother, it's over and she left you for someone else. It was nice of her to send you a message, but you owe her nothing.