What is an appropriate age for kids to first start dating?

This was a question on MSN, so I thought I'd bring it here.

They said that quote " People who started dating young have more problems

Study: Younger kids are more likely to form unhealthy attachments to partners."

So, what do you think?

• 13 or 14 years old
  • 15 or 16 years old
  • 17 or 18 years old
  • Another age
  • No opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• 14 or 15 something like that. I would think once you get to high school

What Guys Said 8

• Depends on the kid. Kids shouldn't date. Young adults? Maybe.

In some countries young adults are married off at point A. Even younger some places. Some of them thrive.

At the other end, some people don't grow up at all.

• it usually seems like that at 15 or 16

• 15 or 16, but it depends on the child

• I'd say 15 or 16 when they are nearly mature enough to make their own decisions.

• 5.

• 15 or 16 is a healthy age to start dating, that's when I started.

• Given that we're ready for sex and reproduction by age 18, or 21 at the latest, it seems ridiculous to try to postpone dating very much. 15 or 16 is plenty on time to teach kids how to interact with the opposite sex.

• 16 when they can take themselves on dates.

What Girls Said 7

• Around 15 - 16, so like around the time they're starting high school. Dating before that just seems too young, and not really necessary to be honest. I started dating when I was about 13 and I sort of wish I hadn't, I definitely wasn't ready and my first boyfriend clearly just needed a sexual outlet (well, it wasn't so clear to me at the time).

I don't think youth is what causes problems in relationships and forming unhealthy attachments... I'd say it's inexperience. It's very rare to see people remain with their very first partner... eventually the relationship dies, whether it's because they're tired of each other or the feelings are lost or they want to get out and see what it's like to be with other people. Dating is about gaining experience and discovering what you want from a partner.

• I would say 15 or 16 but if my child is just going to do this behind my back I just want to know if they feel ready so I can be there and open with my child.

• I started at 17, I got my first boyfriend in my senior year of high school. I felt it was a good age to start. I am more mature and knew how to handle situations.

• i think that the right age for kids to start dating is when there in high school or when there mature enough

• Depends on my child's maturity level, and understanding of sex education.

Personally probably around 15-16.

• 16 for girls

25 or guys

• I personally didn't get my first boyfriend until I was 14 and I felt like I was a super late bloomer. All of my friends had started dating when they were like 9 (those relationships lasted 2 weeks max but still). I wouldn't prohibit my kids from dating if they wanted to at a younger age.

I think for me 15 was a good age. My first boyfriend that I had (when I was 14) was a good learning experience though even though we just kissed on the school bus on the ride home and the only reason why I dated him was to be able to say I had a boyfriend.

I stayed with the guy I dated when I was 15 all the way through high school. We got together in September of my Freshman year and broke up a few days after graduation. He was my first true love and I think he'll always have a special place in my heart.