Why do a lot of guys have "angry" looking online dating pictures?

Particularly guys around my age don't smile at all in their main photo . It's really off-putting, especially if they message you. I just imagine a really negative person or a serial killer.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Updates:
I never knew smiling was feminine thing?

1|1
8|18

Most Helpful Guy

• Studies suggest women as a group rate men as most attractive in photos when they are not smiling or looking at the camera.

0|7
    0|0

What Guys Said 17

• My main photo is me doing curls at the gym.I'm raging at my curls. I get comments that it is sexy. Plus honestly, I was never a big "smiley" guy. It's whatever to me. It should make it more rewarding for ya if you can make him smile.

0|0
    0|0
  • Females on average find a guy more attractive when he is either 1) not smiling or 2) has a smirk / semi-smile.

Guys function off logics, facts and data...and that means less guys are smiling in their photos.

P.S. I had a hard time smiling on cue anyways for photos so I don't have to "try" to not smile! :-D

0|1
    0|0
  • I would think because they want to look tough. I don't think smiling has to do with gender. A fake, insecure smile can be a sign off submission, but a genuine smile tells me they feel good. I don't particularity like trying to fake smile in front of the camera though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that everybody's natural looking relaxed face, looks kind of angry, because there is no emotion going through it

0|0
    0|0
  • is obviously a dating site!

and since women do love bad asses that look and act "tough" then why should they bother taking a picture of them smiling?

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not so much a feminine thing but coming off as "pleasant" or "nice" is considered my some guys as a weakness. If anything it's a form of insecurity. What's wrong with smiling? wtf

0|0
    0|0
  • I got more replies with a straight face than with a smiling face. That's why.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because you girls make us that way.

JK...but I see what you mean...especially with bad and dark lighting. Some people look like they are going to stab something.

On a side note: Rihanna looks hotter when not smiling even though she has a gorgeous smile.

0|0
    0|0
  • Many guys including myself are not very photogentic,lol.

0|3
    0|0
  • i know the answer. guys take pics of themselves not smiling so they can look tough and masculine. in reality, it looks stupid. smiling, by many desperate lonely guys, is seen as sign of weakness and something feminine.

0|1
    0|2
  • Men do not give approval by seeking acceptance from all others. Poker face.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because we don't know any better, lol don't judge a cover by the book.

0|0
    0|0
  • One I hate taking pictures, & two I refuse to smile knowing that I'll still get rejected/ignored. If smile I come off as creepy, I don't smile I come off as creepy. (Its a damn if I do damn if I don't situation).

0|0
    0|0
  • Since when is this a dating site?

0|0
    0|0
  • Not all but there are some and I am one of those. I don't like smiling period.

0|0
    0|0
  • if he was a good looking angry guy though , you'll say he's showing that he doesn't take crap from anyone

0|1
    0|0
  • Because women don't want soft men, or the men are bitter because they are not getting laid

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• maybe they think they look hot - like when girls pout lol

or maybe they wanna look tough or serious

0|0
    0|0
  • Ya it's weird, you can pull off the serious looking guy if you're super hot and shot by a professional, for most it just looks creepy. Just smile, have fun, be yourself. I suppose they're kinda like the male duckface though

0|0
    0|1
    • They are.

Incidentally men rated women most attractive when they pulled the duck face looking right at the camera.

• They're trying to look tough.

Bad smile/teeth?

1|2
    0|0
  • It's more masculine looking.

0|2
    0|0
  • Maybe they don't feel like smiling in a pic. Hahahha

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe they want to look serious

0|0
    0|0
  • they are insecure

1|0
    0|1
  • Idk but I don't like men that smile

0|2
    0|4
    • So you're into depressed and angry men? You hit a goldmine, this site is full of them.

• Show All
    • So you like the douche bags?

• There is a difference between a tough guy and a douche