Speaking Chinese on a date?

I am proficient in Mandarin Chinese. On some past dates, I have gone to Chinese restaurants and ordered in Mandarin to try to show off to my date.

Anyway, my friend who knows I do that told me that it's a turn-off and that it just "makes me look like an idiot." Since I've gone on both successful and unsuccessful dates where I have shown off my Chinese skills to my date, I am not sure whether it's a turn on or a turn off. What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're doing it to show off, it's a turnoff for sure. It's a cool skill, I'm impressed by anyone who is fluent in more than one language, but I'd rather have it randomly come up, I wouldn't like it to be 'shown off' to impress me. Plus, it's not like it's a romantic language, like French or Spanish. You probably do look a little silly speaking Chinese lol. :)

What Girls Said 5

• It depends on the girl. If she is interested in different languages and/or cultures, she might be impressed. If now, it won't do any magic to her.

However, if it were me (I'm interested in languages and cultures and am studying languages and cultures myself), if I could sense that you were just doing that to impress me, it would turn me off. I don't like a guy who likes to brag, it might set off a silent alarm in my brain and make me question "why is he trying so hard to impress me? Does he have something he needs to hide my trying hard to impress?"

It would be different if we met in China and you are fluent in the language. I guess it's all in the question "is it really necessary that he speaks Chinese?" In an American Chinese restaurant, it's not necessary because all the waiters speak English. So you speaking Chinese would just seem blatantly obvious you're trying too hard to impress.

• to me it would seem a bit silly. Only because I don't have any interest in Asian culture. Except the food is good. Maybe if you took a girl on a date who was into anime or pokemon she would think it was cool

I'd be impressed if he spoke fluent German or like, Finnish or something. Something European

• being cultured is a plus

• That's hot that you know another language

• Just avoid speaking Chinese

What Guys Said 2

• An American dude speaking Chinese in an American Chinese restaurant. Are you retarded man? I'm sure the waiters laugh at you behind your back because you aren't as proficient as you think you are.

• It does make you look like an idiot lol. Why don't you try being a normal person and forget about trying to show off to a girl?