Is 26 too old for me to date?

I'm 18, the guy I've been seeing is 26. I don't notice any age gap , but I'm not sure if he does. Am I too young? We have already slept together.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's not the question you should be asking. What you should be asking yourself is "do he and I relate; do we have enough in common to make one life out of two; is his greater life experience and my youthful naivety/lack of wisdom something that will/is being used against me; can I trust him; is this just lust or is it actually love; did I sleep with him for fun, or because I feel something more for him; do either of us know how to make this work or at the very least have the love, care and patience, for one another to give it everything we have even if we don't know how to make it work at this time; is he with me for the sex and because of my young age, or because he sees something in me that he loves and wants to keep". "26 ain't old, heck I think age is just a number. If he was like say 40 years old or older it would be too old." -art84. If age were just a number it wouldn't matter at ANY point, but it does, it affects people's ability to connect, are there cases of 18 year olds with more wisdom, knowledge, and life experience than 30 year olds, maybe, but is that generally the case, no.

What people tend to ignore or have forgotten over time is what makes for strong compatibility and life long companionship and powerful relationships is being able to connect and understand one another. The intelligent seek the intelligent, the uneducated are more comfortable with the uneducated, those from one ethnic/cultural background have an easier time relating to those of similar/the same background.

The question isn't if he's too old for you as much as it is if you two can relate enough to share a bound, if you have enough in common to keep a relationship together without one of you using, manipulating or hurting the other. It's about if both of you are actually ready for what is coming. Also, if you already slept with him without knowing these things or asking these questions, why? Do you lack sound judgment, does he lack sound judgment or is this just about the lust between you two that holds you together right now? There are far more important questions you should have been asking yourself before you came to this point.

Good luck and best wishes.

What Guys Said 12

• I don't think it's a big age difference, but you are still pretty young. I don't think I'd sleep with a girl that young and me being 26. I'd give her some more time, especially if I'm her first, but that's just how I see it.

As for the age gap, I don't think it's a problem. If you like the guy and you're comfortable with him, then don't change a thing.

Are you in by any chance insecure about your relationship that you feel the need to ask this question, perhaps even looking for an excuse? Just asking, but I also understand since you are pretty young.

• I dated an 18 year old when I was 26. Being underage kind of sucks in terms of going to bars, and by that age I'm way over "I was so drunk last night..." Stories, that's old news to us. I'd never rule anything out, but chances are it won't be that long term, you're just at different points in life. Just have fun and use it as dating experience.

• I think you're rather young, because you want to make sure that both of you are mature to understand what a relationship really is. If you get pregnant, you are going to have a younger version of you and the guy you're dating/married with. If you don't know enough about him before the baby comes, you may be filled with more surprises than you can handle. It's best to get to know him/her before you get married/sleep together. I'm 29. I've been on a few dates already. I wouldn't say you can't date at 18, but I would say be careful who you do date - especially if you plan to or did sleep together.

• My best friend is dating an 18 year old, he's 24. I'm 24 as well and like a 26 year old. My cousin is 31 and dating a girl my age. Age can be nothing but a number IF and ONLY if you treat it like one but at the same time, you are only 18. I would question why it is you can't get a guy your own age, as well as why he can't get a girl his own age. Something seems amiss

• 26 doesn't sound old, sounds pretty young to me. I say go for it, if it works out. He's a keeper.

• Of course not!

• nope, age is just a number unless its illegal. date away!

• 26 ain't old, heck I think age is just a number. If he was like say 40 years old or older it would be too old.

• I'm basically that age, I'd never...

Ever.. Date an 18 year old.

Well, I'd sleep with her, but nothing long-term.

She doesn't even know who she is yet. Why would I make such an investment?

23+ for me.

• You are both adults, you like him, he likes you, who gives a rats ass what anyone else has to say about it.

• Just a few months ago she was illegal in some states.

She isn't an adult. She is a teenager.

• That was a few months ago, we're talking NOW. She's with him, not you. It's no-ones business who she's goes with

• Why not? Women often date guys older than them, and it works out fine.

• I am 23 and was dating an 18 year old. For the most part it didn't cause any problems at all. Until we got to adult situations in life. Her true colors came out as she was still very immature. If you feel confident you can be a little more mature dealing with situations then you will be fine. Just realize that a 26 year old has his shit together.

What Girls Said 4

• I would date a guy twice my age if I really liked him. Older men are hot.

Actually 8 year difference isn't much at all

• seems a bit up there... but you should be fine.

• He must be desperate to be dating someine so young.

Seriously,find someone your own age.

• I don't think that is a problem.