Is teenage dating overrated?

I don't know about you all, but it really irks me when I see 2 teenagers neck deep in a relationship. I understand that some married couples were high school sweethearts (which is actually pretty sweet), but people often neglect the high school relationships that didn't work out. I read somewhere that the percentage of high school lovers getting married is around 1-2%. and the percentage that stick together is even lower, which leads me to ask... Is teenage dating overrated? So often, our social status in adolescence is dictated by our ability to be in a relationship and that leads to many psychological issues that we run into today. To me, I think dating is a tremendous waste of time, especially in your adolescent years. It consumes money, energy, but most importantly time. The young mind is so receptive to new information. Why spend it all learning about one single person?

Perhaps I sound bitter in this question but this is actually an observation I've made based on my own self. I dated a girl in high school, and I did not get very much out of it. Yes, I gained some experience into how dating should be, but that is something that I could have learned as I become older. I suppose the message that I am trying to convey is that one should postpone the instant gratification of an immediate relationship for a more meaningful one in the future. All of that free time could be spent getting good grades, making new friends, or developing a new skill. Not only will these things boost your self-esteem, it will make you a more appealing bachelor or bacherlorette. Your happiness and identity should not be solely dependent on a significant other. Rather, you should be in control of yourself and until you are capable of becoming independent, I do not think you are ready for a relationship. That's just my two cents. Agree or disagree, this is what I have learned and experienced.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I don't think that it's overrated at all. Yes, most relationships fail, but so do most relationships that AREN'T teenage relationships.

I see it like this. It's easier to learn things when you're younger and more carefree. That's why you're more likely to successfully learn how to do things like backflip if you learn at a younger age (5-12) vs when you're an adult. That's why we teach teenagers how to drive at a young age an expect them to get in accidents.

You have to start somewhere

What you said you "could have learned when you became older" would have been a setback is what I'm saying if you waited. All that free time that wasn't used for making good grades, hanging out with friends, and developing new skills was exactly what you needed to learn that your free time could have gone to that. If you wouldn't have dated chances are you wouldn't have used that free time to develop skills and make good grades, you just would have goofed off, but now that you see what you could have done it's good for you to know what you should do in the future.

So, what I'm saying is you wouldn't have learned what you learned if you didn't ever date anyone.. Like in any TV show where they have a time machine and go back and alter the past. It makes a big difference.

You can't expect all teen relationships to work out because it's a first. If you tried to swing lit fire your first time guess what? More often than not it's going to be the exact same way in a relationship. Doesn't matter if it happens when you're 12 or 36 (both with fire and relationships) first times are difficult. The second time isn't gonna be much better either. Practice makes perfect with everything you do in life so the more practice you get the better

What Girls Said 6

• Well some people have had unhappy relationships, true, especially in high school... but the people who have married their "high school sweethearts" are happy. I think that as a teenager, you need to expose yourself to new things and dating is one of the important things... This is my opinion only. :) Hope I helped xoxo <3

• I vote yes, only because mine were all unsuccessful and a waste of time. Although, I loved having dates for formals, but I wish I didn't feel like I had to date them.

• This might crazy but I was thinking the same from last year, a topic my mentor and I were discussing...woah...MIND READING!

• Well not sure for others but this year I celebrate my 12th year with my highschool sweet heart.

• Not overrated just pointless

• Only for those that no one wants to date ...

What Guys Said 0