Why do many people think that one straight guy and woman can't spend time with each other without dating?

I don't think it is true at all. I know many cases of straight males and females just hanging out with each other as friends one on one for years,for a lifetime without ever dating. I am tired of people saying ''if it's one straight male and one straight female they are on a date,they can only hang out as friends if they are with at least one other person.''I think it's sad many people think this way.Males and females can hang out one on one without dating.

Most Helpful Girl

• I dunno. I guess it's just because people assume that if you get along really well then you should date (or want to).

I have male friends that I hang out with one on one and have no interest in dating (and they feel the same).

What Girls Said 3

• I think it's absolutely possible but only if neither are interested jn taking it further. I think most people say no because I think this only happens in about 5-10% of male/female friendships

• I'm a straight girl and some of my best friends are straight guys and we have never been attracted to each other!

• I totally agree. One of my best friends is a guy and we've hung out a number of times just the two of us but it's not a date. We don't have romantic feelings for each other so it's like going with a brother or something.

What Guys Said 2

• Iv ended up dating pretty much every close women friend iv had but I have managed to have a few women friends to hang out with.

• i don't. but then I think despite modern society's views, people still have old-fashioned views of male-female interactions.