Does dating another person (rebound) help you get over your ex?

My ex and I dated for about 2 1/2 years and he was my first for everything. I loved him dearly but he enjoyed the attention of other women too much and it drove me crazy. We broke up about 3 weeks back and this guy I was speaking to the first time we broke up recently contacted me again. He is sweet and nothing like my ex. If I date him would it help me get over my ex or make it worse?

Most Helpful Girl

• Many people would say so. And I think it would definitely distract you from your ex. But it's still important that you grieve and let yourself feel the emotions of a post-break up. It's gonna hurt you later if you don't come to terms with your feelings alone, by yourself before getting with someone new. Any old issues you don't deal with can ruin the next relationship you get.

I think it's best for people to work on themselves and get used to being alone for a while after a break up rather than immediately jump into another relationship with someone or be dating just because they may feel the need to have someone around. That's unhealthy.

What Guys Said 1

• If you are into him then you should date him. However, if you are using him only as a means of getting over your ex then that's cold.

What Girls Said 3

• Date him because you like him, not because you want to get over your ex. And like Bettybets said, take time by yourself, your ex was your first of everything, and that requires some time to heal emotionally. In any case, clearing your mind off of any negative experience from your previous relationship will be good for all your other relationships from this point.

Best wishes to you.

• Yeah, its always helped me.

• i think so...